My New Reef Project ( WB AIO 25 Peninsula)

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I recently made a Hello post saying I am getting back in to the hobby. I was lucky to receive an WB AIO 25 Peninsula for Christmas, needless to say I have been pretty excited to get this tank up and running.
My first project started back in the first week of December. I have a wife that cannot keep gifts a secret so I knew what I was getting and if you are aware of WBs product line I needed to make a stand. I built a cheep but sturdy stand with hinged doors and two shelves to get me started. Since this is in a carpeted room of my small house I had to make sure that it was stable. I added some precision leveling feet to make sure that the tank is perfectly leveled and will not shift after it settled into the carpet pad. The leveling feet are adjusted by a 5mm hex key from the top which is nice. After leveling the tank the feet are hidden by the bottom board. I made sure that the tank was leveled side to side and front to back then corner to corner diagonally. When the bubble was perfectly centered I started to plan my aqua scape. It took me a few hours and I finally decided on a shape, I got it glued together and about two days later my live Fiji pink sand arrived along with my RODI system. Initially I thought that I would put my RODI system inside my cabinet so that I could set it up to feed my ATO system. I have since pulled it from the cabinet and added a 7 gallon temporary reserve tank ( trash can) to my stand as an ATO reservoir. After getting some RODI water made and adding my salt mix to it. I started to cycle my tank.

So far I have been cycling the tank for about 15 days. I started off using Fritz turbo start 900, with their fishless start. The tank was cloudy for about two days and then it was crystal clear. I took some baseline samples the day of to make sure my results were all zeros, and they were. After adding the bacteria and the ammonia I made sure that my ammonia was dose at 2 ppm. Day two the ammonia was at 1.5 ppm and nitrites were climbing. Day three testing was the same as day two. PH 8.3 Ammonia 1.5 ppm Nitrite 1.5 ppm Nitrate 5ppm ( probably a false positive). I noted in my log that my salinity was going up slightly ( this was before my ATO had been installed.) I topped off the tank with some fresh RODI and all the parameters were normal. Day four was weird. Ammonia was back to 4 ppm and Nitrite was at 2 ppm Nitrate was at 15 ppm. I started to think that the Test kit that I got to try out from Pet co their API rebrand was not working. I checked the dates and it was fine, however it seems that this test might be off. I ordered a Red sea test kit and the Salifert ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate kits. I started double testing and found that the Red sea and Salifert were agreeing with each other. For those out there looking to start a tank for me the Pet Co Imagitarium test kit has not been accurate enough. Day 5 the ammonia was through dropping to around .75 ppm nitrite was between 2-5ppm (I could not tell I just knew it was high) day six everything dropped and it looked like it was working then day seven arrived. I tested the tank and saw that it was actually over 5ppm according to Dr. Tims ( I should do a water change to keep the cycle from stalling out. I did two 50% water changes the first one made no noticeable dent to my Nitrite problem and the second brought it down to about 2.5-3 ppm. Normal testing returned and on Day 9 I finally had 0 ppm Ammonia. Nitrite was at 1 ppm and nitrate at 7ppm DKH 11 with a PH 8. I dosed .5 ppm ammonia back into the tank to ensure that the ammonia was being processed out and as you can imagine this increased my nitrites. I continued to monitor till I got to Day 13. My nitrites were back over 5ppm I conducted another 50% with no change, I ended up doing 3 50% water changes to get my nitrites and nitrates ( they were at 100 ppm) down to a lower amount after doing the water changes I ended up with PH 8.2, NH3/ NH4 .25-.5, NO2- 1 ppm, NO3- 25 ppm. This is where I currently am. I will conduct my tests at 8pm tonight to check if my ammonia stays at 0 ppm and my Nitrites are actually going down. I have a strong filling that my Nitrate readings are due to the high Nitrites, but we will see.

Tank specs:
WB AIO 25 Peninsula
20 lbs of dry rock
20 pounds of Carib sea Fiji Pink
Kessil A360X with wired controller set to 18" with 55 degree reflector
Nero 3 submersible pump
Duetto 2 ATO

Water specs:
BRS 100 four stage RODI system
TDS in 6 ppm TDS out 0
Pressure 40 psi w/o booster pump W/pump 95 psi
Salt mix Red Sea Coral Pro at first
I have decided to try out Nyos pure since they had a bigger bucket and it would work for me.

Light has been off the entire time I have been cycling with the exception of maintenance and pictures. The carbon filter has been removed, so has the sock filter. I added some extra ceramic rings to the the filtration to allow me to remove it should I want to start another tank.... (we all know how addictive this can be).

I am getting excited because it seems like I am just around the bend from being able to add some livestock. Some of my thoughts for that would be the good o'l faithful clowns. I really like the Snow Onxy clowns from Sea and Reef, but I have not decided except that there will be two. For corals I plan on a Zoa garden with a hammer coral that might act as host for the Clowns.

If you have some other ideas for clean up/ tank mates I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading attached are some pictures of the process
IMG_1565.JPEG
IMG_1566.JPEG
IMG_1580.JPEG
IMG_1581.JPEG
IMG_1599.JPEG
IMG_1598.JPEG

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add cuc slowly as to not allow them to starv and slowly increase them as the need increases. Pods are great to start with when the tank has cycled. Glass and rocks, urchin, turbo snails, trochus snails, ninja snails, cerith snails, blue and red legged dwarf hermits and an emerald crab. Sand, tiger conch and nassarius snails. Love the rock scape, your off to a great start.

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add cuc slowly as to not allow them to starv and slowly increase them as the need increases. Pods are great to start with when the tank has cycled. Glass and rocks, urchin, turbo snails, trochus snails, ninja snails, cerith snails, blue and red legged dwarf hermits and an emerald crab. Sand, tiger conch and nassarius snails. Love the rock scape, your off to a great start.
So I believe that the cycle is coming to the end. As I stated on the other thread. I will know more this evening around midnight. I really was hoping to add Pods and phytoplankton to the tank to make it more like an actual reef, however my order from Algae Barn was not shipped this week. So the pods will be added next week when they arrive and the tank is finished cycling (lets hope) I wanted to give the copepods a chance to proliferate and without predators but I think I might just have to add them to the middle chamber. I would like for them to be numerous when the uglies start so it is not that bad. Also in that order are the bottles of coralline algae since this is new tank without any spores(?) in it. I was hoping this would help it along.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I believe that the cycle is coming to the end. As I stated on the other thread. I will know more this evening around midnight. I really was hoping to add Pods and phytoplankton to the tank to make it more like an actual reef, however my order from Algae Barn was not shipped this week. So the pods will be added next week when they arrive and the tank is finished cycling (lets hope) I wanted to give the copepods a chance to proliferate and without predators but I think I might just have to add them to the middle chamber. I would like for them to be numerous when the uglies start so it is not that bad. Also in that order are the bottles of coralline algae since this is new tank without any spores(?) in it. I was hoping this would help it along.
Next week will be fine, I look forward to more updates.

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your scape. Following along! I have the smaller version of your tank :)
Thanks, I was really thinking of getting the precursor to the AIO 15 Peninsula, but I held off and then the wife got me the 25 which was exciting. I hope that I do not screw this tank up too bad. hahaha

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Numbers are in. In a 24 hour period my Ammonia has dropped from 2 ppm my nitrites went from 1 ppm to 2ppm and back to 1 ppm. Nitrates have stayed close to 25 ppm. If my nitrites are at 0 ppm tomorrow at 11 am I believe the tank has fully cycled, correct me if I am wrong?

full parameters are
Current Day

Base PH

≈ 8.1

Ammonia

NH3/NH4

≈ 0 ppm

Nitrite

NO2

≈ 1 ppm

Nitrate

NO3

≈ 25 ppm

Alkalinity

KH

≈ 8dkh

Salinity 1.024 or 34ppt ( a little low but I will correct this when I do my water change tomorrow)
Temp 78 preset by Sicce +/- 1° should be 77° ( I have a back up heater that can
PH has gone down from 8.2 to 8.1, that could be from environmental factors. such as more people being home creating more CO2.
I am not sure why my DKH would have dropped so much unless my water took some time to balance out. The Nyos is advertising 8.5 at 35ppt it was at 11 yesterday

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is a big day! Day 15 and the Tank is 99% cycled. I have just done my nightly tests and the results are in.
Current Day 15

Base PH

≈ 8.1

Ammonia

NH3/NH4

≈ 0 ppm

Nitrite

NO2

≈ .02 ppm

Nitrate

NO3
≈ 10 ppm

Alkalinity

KH

≈ 8dkh

Salinity 1.026 or 35ppt salt used Nyos pure

With the tank in its current condition. I have gone ahead and ordered a few things for the tank. I have decided ( with the help of the wife) that I will be placing some Black Ocellaris Clowns as our first fish. Before I add them I plan on doing a quick water change. They will be placed in the quarantine tank for a couple of weeks, but in the mean time. I will be adding some small coral fags to the tank. I have some Coral Rx to dip them in. Is there any other suggestions that you might have for introducing them to the tank? I will write the names of them when they arrive Tuesday. In the meantime, I will continue to make sure the tank is in tip top shape.

Oh and a side note I have decided to make sure that all my fish are quarantined even if they are captive bred. So I do not introduce stuff like velvet or ick into the tank. During this time I will be adding PODs, phyto, and some coralline algae. IF I start to see the uglies ( I know it is right around the corner) I will go ahead and start adding a few blue legged hermits and a few snails. I am hoping that my slow increase of lighting over the next week, Friday should be the full schedule, will not cause a huge outbreak.

Are there any good articles on invert acclimation?

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following your build. I am just setting up the same tank. Rock is cycled and in a brute can. Tank is empty as i'm moving next week.
Nice, How did you cycle your rocks. Did you already have some Live rock from another tank to help it along or was it a coralline in a bottle approach?

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Day 16

Base PH

≈ 8.1

Ammonia

NH3/NH4

≈ 0 ppm

Nitrite

NO2

≈ 0 ppm

Nitrate

NO3
≈ 10 ppm

Alkalinity

KH

≈ 8dkh

Water Temp 78
Salinity 1.026 or 35ppt

Well it is official the tank is cycled and ready for the first couple of creatures. My lights are about half way through the full acclimation cycle. I wonder how much I should lower my Nitrates. Would a 25% water change work or does it need to be larger? Some people say that you should do a large change while other say a smaller change if Nitrates are not over 20 ppm. I know either way the "Uglies" are just around the corner, yes they are uglies, but they help manage the Nitrates. Lets hope they balance out quickly!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Day 16

Base PH

≈ 8.1

Ammonia

NH3/NH4

≈ 0 ppm

Nitrite

NO2

≈ 0 ppm

Nitrate

NO3
≈ 10 ppm

Alkalinity

KH

≈ 8dkh

Water Temp 78
Salinity 1.026 or 35ppt

Well it is official the tank is cycled and ready for the first couple of creatures. My lights are about half way through the full acclimation cycle. I wonder how much I should lower my Nitrates. Would a 25% water change work or does it need to be larger? Some people say that you should do a large change while other say a smaller change if Nitrates are not over 20 ppm. I know either way the "Uglies" are just around the corner, yes they are uglies, but they help manage the Nitrates. Lets hope they balance out quickly!
I would leave your nitrates alone. I shoot for nitrates at 10-15 and phosphates of .05-.1. Since your first corals will likely be softies, they will appreciate the nutrients in the water.

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave your nitrates alone. I shoot for nitrates at 10-15 and phosphates of .05-.1. Since your first corals will likely be softies, they will appreciate the nutrients in the water.
Thanks, besides the uglies is there a reason people do not like their Nitrates over .5 ppm? I also need to get a Po4 test kit is the Hanna Checker the one everyone uses or do you use the Salifert?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, besides the uglies is there a reason people do not like their Nitrates over .5 ppm? I also need to get a Po4 test kit is the Hanna Checker the one everyone uses or do you use the Salifert?
.5 is a typo right, you meant 5? To low nitrates will starve your corals. Embrace the uglies they are coming. Everyone goes through it , just keep up and before you know it you’ll be on the other side.

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.5 is a typo right, you meant 5? To low nitrates will starve your corals. Embrace the uglies they are coming. Everyone goes through it , just keep up and before you know it you’ll be on the other side.
Yes it was a typo, I was reading about the phosphates when I typed that. Thanks again for the information. It would seem that the water is perfect for them with the exception of Phosphates, I still need to test for that. Any suggestions on the test for that? Hanna or Salifert?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was a typo, I was reading about the phosphates when I typed that. Thanks again for the information. It would seem that the water is perfect for them with the exception of Phosphates, I still need to test for that. Any suggestions on the test for that? Hanna or Salifert?
I really like the Hanna tester. It's really the only Hanna test I would say is a must have. I also have Hanna Alk and Nitrate testers though.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it seems everyone likes the Hanna but I use the Salifert.

OP
OP
Luckki

Luckki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, it seems everyone likes the Hanna but I use the Salifert.
I like the Salifert kits over the Red sea, and Pet co version of API. I have never used a Hana checker. They did not exist or were not attainable when I was previously active in the hobby. Plus there is just something fun about playing "mad scientist".
I might just try both and see how well they coincide. $20 for about 60 tests is not that bad. Considering that you pay about $70 for a test kit with about 10 tests then you have to buy more reagents.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back