My new seafan

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been waiting for a nice photosynthetic gorgonian Sea fan for some time and managed to get one of the last ones.

The purple is even nicer in real life than the photo on the website. I attached it to a small bit of rubble then glued the rubble in place in my tank, it's about halfway up and it's getting strong intermittent flow, it's in the path of a powerhead that comes on for 5 seconds then off for 2.5. Shortly after adding to my tank it's showing great polyp extension.

Here's the pic from the vendors site in the U.K. As I'm rubbish at taking photos, but it's even brighter and more vivid purple than the photo shows.

Don't suppose anyone knows what species it is exactly? It was called purple ribbon seafan but it's nothing like the ribbon seafans/whips I have seen as it's round.

IMG_5363.JPG

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been waiting for a nice photosynthetic gorgonian Sea fan for some time and managed to get one of the last ones.

The purple is even nicer in real life than the photo on the website. I attached it to a small bit of rubble then glued the rubble in place in my tank, it's about halfway up and it's getting strong intermittent flow, it's in the path of a powerhead that comes on for 5 seconds then off for 2.5. Shortly after adding to my tank it's showing great polyp extension.

Here's the pic from the vendors site in the U.K. As I'm rubbish at taking photos, but it's even brighter and more vivid purple than the photo shows.

Don't suppose anyone knows what species it is exactly? It was called purple ribbon seafan but it's nothing like the ribbon seafans/whips I have seen as it's round.

IMG_5363.JPG

Looks like this one http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Purple-Knobby-EcoGorgonian-Prodview.html

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought some filter feeder/clam food micron size 2 - 20 microns and wow the polyps really extended, I read although it's photosynthetic it's still good to feed them, how often should I feed?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, that's an awesome one!

I have a different species but it seems to be happy with me broadcast feeding the tank several times a week at the least. Recently I've been feeding very heavy and been feeding lots of particulates every night. I'm curious to see the effects on my corals etc. (I'm tweaking things)

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed all my other corals started extending feeders too, I have mostly lps which I assumed 2 - 20 micron food would be to small for them.

OP
OP
becks

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seafan is still doing great, it's under high intermittent flow, strong blast for 5 seconds then three seconds off, during the strong flow it wobbles and shakes around under the flow but I still get good polyp extension.

Would this be to much flow?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back