My new SPS Tank

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so just ULN for sure. I’ve tried to run ULN a few times, but I always have a few corals that don’t like it and check out. Since I’ve been running higher nutrients I’ve never lost a single coral. Mr. Reberto has mastered the ULN technique. Very similar approach to Coral Euphoria.
Interestingly, @Coral Euphoria has started to carbon dose now. His approach is ever shifting as the needs of the corals change. ULNS, like any method, can be part of a broader approach of needs and solutions. The key is knowing your corals well enough to understand how changes in the environment will affect their health. I’d venture to guess that most all common acropora to the hobby would thrive in a ULNS as log as their needs are being addressed (additives suspended in the water long enough to be absorbed or captured). It’s only a matter of diligence at that point.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, @Coral Euphoria has started to carbon dose now. His approach is ever shifting as the needs of the corals change. ULNS, like any method, can be part of a broader approach of needs and solutions. The key is knowing your corals well enough to understand how changes in the environment will affect their health. I’d venture to guess that most all common acropora to the hobby would thrive in a ULNS as log as their needs are being addressed (additives suspended in the water long enough to be absorbed or captured). It’s only a matter of diligence at that point.

Exactly. I just try to run higher because I know I’m safe. If I skirt the border too much, eventually I have a lazy week or get busy at work and if the nutrients bottom out for too long (especially phosphorus) I’ll start getting STN or RTN on some pieces. Most reefers that think they have zero nutrients or they’re test kits are coming back zero phosphate really don’t have zero phosphate. It’s just really low. We can only test for inorganic phosphate, but ICP can test the Atom P, which gives the total picture. Also, phosphate that binds to calcium carbonate surfaces (sand and rock) or present inside microorganisms will not show up on these tests. It can still leach out or be used as a food source. The corals filter bacteria 24/7, and bacteria consume nutrients. One thing I know for sure is if a system is truly depleted of all phosphorus, SPS will not live long. If anybody doesn’t believe me, I’ll be happy to come over with a bottle of Seaklear phosphate remover, and start a daily dosing regime to eliminate all phosphorus to prove it. HeHe. :)

Coral Euphoria himself will tell you that even though his test kits were showing Zero, his ICP results would come back .01-.03 ppm or so. I think his colonies got to the point where they wanted more, so I am glad to see him Carbon dosing as it will provide the corals with more bacteria to consume, and thus more nutrients and nutrition. It will also help him keep his ULN approach.

I do enjoy looking at both lighter and darker colored corals. It’s good to see different techniques and methods to achieve the same results.

Here’s a few I got from Coral Euphoria a while back. They were very healthy, but you could tell he’s running ULN. Not the best pic. Sorry.

IMG_1557.jpeg

Here’s another pic of CC Voodoo Magic that I picked up in a frag pack (different guy) where all the corals were basically starving in a system, but it was still thriving. However, just on the brink of STN/RTN. I tested his PO4 with Hanna ULR Phosphorus and it came back at 0, but the tank was so established the corals had acclimated to it over several years and probably just barely surviving off of fish poop and a little bacteria in the water column. When I had a swing, they were the first to check out.

IMG_1558.jpeg

Last edited:

badIuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Roberto Denadai ,
how do you achieve the depth look of you background? Is the tank simply in front of a white wall or is there some sort of frosted film on the outside of the rear glass? Would really like the background of my new tank to look like yours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back