my new tank cycling stall?

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey when I read 60 plus days I went to town pdiehm :) will go edit the last sentence summary in our cycling thread heh

lol. I know that I'm not exactly full of great advice or answers, but in my very brief stay in the saltwater world, he's right where he needs to be.

I'm in his shoes. I'm putting together my CUC, which will consist of 15 ceriths, 12 Trochus, 15 Nerites (initial stocking will probably be half of those numbers), 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 fire shrimp, 5,280 pods from Algae Barn, some phytoplankton.

Order of addition:

Pods
Phyto (dosing every other day for 2 weeks)
when I see diatoms, add in my initial snail group
When I add my first fish, will probably put in the 4 shrimp since I'm a notorious overfeeder.
when I have my current fish in the tank, will add the remainder of the snails if necessary

Rest of the fish stocking will probably be 4 or 5 flasher wrasse or a group of anthias.

OP
OP
S

sawyer010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is now linked to the microbiology of cycling thread as an example of what happens when cycles are based on nitrite, API nitrite specifically, well past submersion times. It's there with ten other examples of cycled tanks that weren't really stalled. I know it's hard when you are being pulled in ten directions, it gets better once you learn the rules of biology that do not follow web forum posts.
yeah, i am learning ,loool

Page one, with a bunch of asterisks next to link

All marine aquaria cycle at the same time frame depending on boosts, those with no boosts or imbalanced boosts revert to the unassisted cycle timeframe, which is how bacteria existed before we were there to deem a nine dollar purchase of tank water in a bottle as necessary. Your cycle was complete about thirty days ago. I can get false nitrite with API in a glass of fresh made water adding only one common marine aquarium item. Sooo many confounds, nitrate heights causing false nitrite, no final water change but rather testing wastewater, am glad we have twelve pages on already calling these results before your thread existed.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the triple post above. I guess old guys like me shouldn't try posting from cell phones.
Ammonia is virtually gone now, so it's not adding to the nitrite level. You didn't run out on ammonia until Saturday. You should start seeing a drop in nitrite pretty quick now.

OP
OP
S

sawyer010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, everyone
if i need to turn on light during cycling and nitrite stage?thanks

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no lights during cycling.

I hit day 8 yesterday. 0.5ppm ammonia, sky high nitrites. cooking just fine.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping this going. 12 days and ammonia hit zero.

Nitrite is still sky high (5+) but we are cooking just fine

92256589ab37655fef2d5c04193cf371.jpg

OP
OP
S

sawyer010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, everyone
i think my tank has been cycled, this is new reading for today, so if i need to add ammonia back to 2ppm and see what is going on next 24 hours. if nitrite and ammonia are zero which means my tank is done, is that right?thanks

2018-10-23_12-49-53.jpg

OP
OP
S

sawyer010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,everyone
i think my tank failed to cycle. i have already added back to 2ppm ammonia since ammonia and nitrite got zero yesterday. and it is more than 24 hours. my ammonia and nitrite never get zero during 24 hours, so what should i do next? repeat the process again? thanks

20181024_195453.jpg

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,everyone
i think my tank failed to cycle. i have already added back to 2ppm ammonia since ammonia and nitrite got zero yesterday. and it is more than 24 hours. my ammonia and nitrite never get zero during 24 hours, so what should i do next? repeat the process again? thanks

20181024_195453.jpg

Wait for them both to drop to zero. Add more ammonia . You are close

Back