My new toy from Aqua Illuminations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
CherryCorals

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in Florida!!!!!

Trust me I want this thing in NOW!

jtma508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm amazed and pleased at how quickly AI jumped on the LIFI emitters. Besides PAR readings around the tank and various 'dim' levels opf the device it would be helpful to get some temp readings of the air between the fixture and water surface. Also, I'm no expert on lighting by any stretch but from what I've read about the LIFI emitters they seem best suited to applications where the light source is far above the area to be lighted. Given that we typically have lights 6-8" above the water how will this device provide adequate spread? Perhaps we should try orienting the emitter so that it fires up into a reflector (a multi faceted one like a LuminArc or the like) to produce a more diffused light? Just a thought.

jtma508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. People across the boards seemed so interested in this yet no updates? Is there any new information/observations to share?

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm amazed and pleased at how quickly AI jumped on the LIFI emitters. Besides PAR readings around the tank and various 'dim' levels opf the device it would be helpful to get some temp readings of the air between the fixture and water surface. Also, I'm no expert on lighting by any stretch but from what I've read about the LIFI emitters they seem best suited to applications where the light source is far above the area to be lighted. Given that we typically have lights 6-8" above the water how will this device provide adequate spread? Perhaps we should try orienting the emitter so that it fires up into a reflector (a multi faceted one like a LuminArc or the like) to produce a more diffused light? Just a thought.

I bet if something like this works that we start seeing things like solo tubs where the bulb is inside a housing that uses mirrors to reflect and intensify the output in various spreads and intensity. .

OP
OP
CherryCorals

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates because my stupid tank is still not in!!!

I am going to play around with it this weekend and get some shots over one of my prop tanks. Maybe a video of it firing up.

jtma508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research on these emitters. As I understand it, the cost for a single emitter/driver is $450. You also need to add a 28v DC power supply to power the driver as well as a suitable reflector. Seems like it could be fairly pricey other than the fact that bulb replacement is all but elminated.

jc5205

TOTM May '08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this the other day and was I impressed.
Could not beleive how bright this thing is, the pics dont even come close to showing this. I see a ton of potential.
1) How bright it is
2) Low heat generated - would have never beleived it if i didnt see it and touch it
3) great spread - 2 will be plenty for that monster tank
4) "Green" - Electric bill
5) dimmable - long over due for lighting
6) - Just plain sweeet

Len

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more interested in the nice wide spectrum this has. It more closely resembles natural daylight. And that's good for our tanks inhabitants optimal health.

OP
OP
CherryCorals

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a neat little detail for those of us who will want it a little more blue.

The Reef Keeper Elite can dim this bad boy via the RKM-ALC module.

Just a few more days!!!!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimmable from an easy to use controller???? WOW!!!! This just got a whole lot more interesting!

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research on these emitters. As I understand it, the cost for a single emitter/driver is $450. You also need to add a 28v DC power supply to power the driver as well as a suitable reflector. Seems like it could be fairly pricey other than the fact that bulb replacement is all but elminated.

Figure bulbs are $50-100 per 1-1.5 years and this pays for the price difference within 2-3 years.

jtma508

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I queried Luxim about the emitter and they quoted me $1,000 for an emitter, power supply and GUI interface (so you can address/dim the emitter). I mentioned in my query that my application was to prototype reef aquarium lighting and the engineer that responded said a number of customers were also doing this. She said that since the emitter is a point light source, the ideal design approach would be to employ light pipes (optical wave guides) to direct and spread the illumination over the tank. It sounds like this may be a bit more complicated that putting the emitter in a reflector --- which was my initial instinct when I first read about these. Anyone have any experience with light pipes?

OP
OP
CherryCorals

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The monstor tank is firmly set for install on Monday so this unit will finally be put into service this week.

Look for a build thread here with lots of pics of the tank, stand, and of course the Plasma bulb in action.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The install....

The photographer is always under-appreciated! :D

IMG_2644copy.jpg

IMG_2645copy.jpg

IMG_2647copy.jpg

IMG_2648copy.jpg

Check out this You Tube video of the bulb warming up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqYl0ksLlho

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I think we need some dimensions on that tank, then we will know what that spread is!?

:D :D :D

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back