My Oceanic 135

Jennifier615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine1. How long have you been in this hobby and what got you started?

I have always enjoyed being an aquarium keeper in some form or another since I was four years old when my grandmother started me with my "first pet".

2. How did you go about deciding the size of the tank that you ended up getting?

In some form or another I have had some sort of tank in my life until 2008 when my husband's mother came and stayed with us for awhile and she started a 29gallon saltwater tank with damsels in it. She was a manager at a very time consuming job, and I jumped right in the caring for her fish tank cause I loved it in my living room of my home. I started in the saltwater hobby in Jan of 2010 when I expressed my birthday wish...so it started with reading, and reading, and reading some more.....In my journey and my cheapness I decided there was a better way than to pay retail for EVERYTHING in a hobby I didn't fully understand yet.....so in my frugality I did what I always do.....hit eBay and Craigslist and found a reasonable 29gallon nano fully set up with corals and fish.

3. How did you hear about the MTRC?

Flashing forward I learned so much in my saltwater endeavors while buying fish/supplies being asked if I was a "club member" that I learned about MTRC and Reef Central and I became so successful having such a vast expanse of knowledge at my disposal and the help of so many great people that were fellow members that quickly my tank was flourishing and starting to outgrow my little nano cube system. I didn't mind upgrading if I knew that I could protect my investment and had the skill set to maintain a new system successfully. I upgraded (again through Craigslist) to a 135gallon Oceanic. I love all the folks at our LFS's......but I love the opportunity of Chris' career in that I get to travel around and not only shop our LFS's, but various other stores in various areas of our country......I keep corals almost like souvenirs of the places I go. I heard about MTRC in my searches for fish supplies and buying things at the Critter I was referred by mini-Chris Richardson.

4. Out of all the pieces of coral/fish what is your favorite and why?

I would have to say of all my pieces in my tank I love my sun polyps; the rock they are on is heart-shaped and the polyps cover the whole thing. I call it my "Heart of Burning Fire".

5. Are there any coral/fish that you have been on the hunt for but have been unable to find or buy yet?

I would love to find some really cool zoo's that aren't readily available at our LFS's like Tyree Space Monsters, Atomic People Eaters, Everlasting Gobstoppers, and an Ultra Ultra Wellsophyllia that has Greens, Purples, and Pinks.

6. What is the next upgrade in equipment that you have planned in the future?

Our Future plans our to upgrade our existing system (which is contained in my signature line) is a set of Blue LED Moonlights, LED fixture for lighting, ATO, Ecobak Pellets and reactor, and possibly a Calcium reactor.

7. What do you know now that you wished you would have known when you started this hobby?

I don't know if I would wish I know things I know now back when I started due to the fact I love the process that learning takes me; I have enjoyed every step of the journey and the people I have met along the way.

8. Any ideas on what you would like to see the MTRC implement in the future to make things better in whatever way?

I don't have any ideas set for the path of MTRC set in my mind right now, but I do hope that one day we could possibly hold a MACNA and all be proud of our friendships and the support we offer to each other as one of Tennessee's premier saltwater clubs.

9. Any tips, tricks, ideas or secrets you would like to share with the rest of the members that have brought you success?

The only information I have to new/seasoned enthusiasts that I have learned is if you have a question don't be scared to ask.....you never know what you might learn that you didn't realize you didn't, or what somebody else does!

10. Any special shout outs that you may want to give any fellow members that have helped you out in any way?

I would love to have the opportunity to thank all my reef club friends.......To Jennie and Mario for helping me relocate my tank when I moved. To Shaun and Scott at Ebay for giving me killer deals on my lights and the moving service of when I moved my tank. To Zef for taking special time on his day off to drive out to Smithville from Nashville to help me change my light bulbs since I can't lift my fixture by myself. To Rhett for cutting me a killer deal on some pieces before he went to MACNA last year, to the whole AC Staff and Chris for always making me feel welcome and treating my questions with respect and care whenever I need them. To Elizabeth, Mel's wife, for being such a great host to our Motley Crew and being such a gracious and welcoming host. To Bill for taking time to answer my questions no matter how small or complicated and making me feel like I am with family when mine is so far away (sometimes I feel like the greatest orphan.....I have NO family personally of my own here in Tennessee and grew up without a father so for me Family is in the friendships you make and opens opportunities to bless other people and the people in their lives and that the methods in which I try to live my life), and with that piece of knowledge shared THANK YOU to the reef club members for since day one making me feel welcome and appreciated in my maniacal condition of loving the saltwater hobby for all it's challenges and rewards it has to offer; always making me feel like I belonged there and have a friend whenever I may need to CALL.I am so Happy I am A MTRC'ER
IMG_3081.jpg
IMG_3018.jpg
IMG_3102.jpg
IMG_3133.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back