My Octopus: Davy Jones, O. hummelincki

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Greybeard :) yep, I'm running a thread over on TONMO as well. They were very useful in helping identify his species. I wouldn't have had a clue without their input.
<snip>
I have no doubt you have the ability to keep a ceph, be it a cuttlefish or an octopus :) now if you don't have the extra time or resources to do it, that's a different story. But I'm sure you have the ability.

Yes, Tonmo is an excellent resource for ceph keepers. If I hadn't seen you there, I would have recommended it :) I've been a member for decades... though I've never done more than thought about keeping a ceph. Was convinced I was going to set up a tall, narrow column for Nautilus many years ago... the Tonmo folks talked me out of it.

I'm pretty sure I could keep an octo, or more likely, a pack of dwarf cuttlefish... and may, one day. I was breeding Seahorses nearly two decades ago now, with good success... I seriously doubt cuttlefish could be more difficult :)

The biggest problem is this: I have 1 (one) aquarium... and don't really want to maintain more than one. So... if I do cuttles, I'd have to forego the community reef. I thought about it (again) when I set this tank up. Honestly, it'd be nearly ideal for a pack of S. Bandensis cuttles... fat, wide, and shallow. If I manage to crash my reef, I may still go that way :)

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted an octopus. But I cant bring my self to fall in love with a creature that will die in a year or less. To me its like a cat/puppy that lives a year or less. I couldnt do that

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted an octopus. But I cant bring my self to fall in love with a creature that will die in a year or less. To me its like a cat/puppy that lives a year or less. I couldnt do that

I keep big dogs... Great Pyrenees. If you're lucky, you might get 10 years with one. My old friend Rambo is nearing 10, and his health is failing fast.

Most fish... eh. Yes, I care for my fishes, and do my absolute best to keep them happy and healthy, but it's just not the same... most of the time. I once had a dog faced puffer that was more like a puppy, really... Had to give him away when I moved and couldn't keep his tank. When I lost my seahorse herd to gas bubble disease, that was hard... but honestly, when one of my clowns jumped a few months ago, while upsetting, it was _not_ like loosing Rambo is going to be.

I'd expect a cephalopod to fall somewhere in between.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting attached to them is very easy.. the most amazing creatures, mine would come out and press his face against the glass when I came home from work watching my every move.. lol. Anyone else he would hide from.. crazy smart and his pulsating color patterns where a clear indication of his mood at any particular time.. I was devastated when I lost him at about 2 years.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep big dogs... Great Pyrenees. If you're lucky, you might get 10 years with one. My old friend Rambo is nearing 10, and his health is failing fast.

Most fish... eh. Yes, I care for my fishes, and do my absolute best to keep them happy and healthy, but it's just not the same... most of the time. I once had a dog faced puffer that was more like a puppy, really... Had to give him away when I moved and couldn't keep his tank. When I lost my seahorse herd to gas bubble disease, that was hard... but honestly, when one of my clowns jumped a few months ago, while upsetting, it was _not_ like loosing Rambo is going to be.

I'd expect a cephalopod to fall somewhere in between.
I also keep big dogs. Dobermans, which are typically around the 12 year mark for most of them. By no means would an octopus amount to the same pain of losing one of those, but with the personality and intelligence of the creatures I am sure I could get quite attached! But I also have a clownfish who has been with me from varioius tanks nearing 10 years now. I would be a little upset if i Lost her!

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, despite just getting him toward the end of July, I think Davy might in the middle of senescence. For those who don't know, senescence is a sort of senile state that octopuses enter shortly before death. He's been refusing food for the past 5 days and is behaving erratically. Here's the last video I got of him eating, and it will probably be the last video I get of him unless things turn around (which I think is unlikely):

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much everyone. I found Davy dead this morning. Today is just barely less than 10 days since I took the video I posted of him a few messages ago. His condition really changed in the last week or so, and I'm almost glad it didn't drag out too long. He was having a lot of trouble breathing last night and I certainly didn't want him to suffer.

It's been an interesting experience keeping an octopus, though much shorter than I would have liked.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, glad he didn't suffer.

Joe Grubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much everyone. I found Davy dead this morning. Today is just barely less than 10 days since I took the video I posted of him a few messages ago. His condition really changed in the last week or so, and I'm almost glad it didn't drag out too long. He was having a lot of trouble breathing last night and I certainly didn't want him to suffer.

It's been an interesting experience keeping an octopus, though much shorter than I would have liked.

I appreciate that you took the time to tell the story over here. Sorry for your loss.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear for the loss, I think this one would hit home if I had one. Had to be a little more special than any other fish in a tank.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the sentiments.

Lamers. Gunna do it again?

Hm. That I don't know. He was a little expensive to only have for a few months. But, it was a very cool experience. I never got to feed him live foods, which I think would have been pretty cool to see.

I think I'm going to do some research and see if there's a better time of year to buy them. Most of these octopuses probably have annual mating cycles. This means that if an octopus like Davy was born in the fall and is only going to live one year, mid-way through summer is a bad time to buy. If my suppositions are true, maybe I can find one earlier in the year that will live a bit longer.

Either way, I'm going to try to sell my condo and move into a single family home this winter. I think I'll wait til I've done that before getting another.

n4soccer06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. Watching your videos of Davy was just awesome. Its crazy, I felt a sense of calming while watching him just through your short videos. I can't imagine what it was like for you getting to watch and interact with him every day.

Last edited:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is your big octopus tank set up in your new home yet? :D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back