My Ph constantly low

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH constantly 7.6 still working on my Ammonia with water changes now reading 0.25 phosphate 0 nitrate 10 ppm Had fish and corals in tank, how can I get my ph up. Had window in my basement open for 10 days and yesterday added a small fan on shelf blowing above tank, with no results.

Stopped feeding fish for approx 5 days, just a tiny bit this morning. Using API AMMO LOCK, AND API QUICK START FOR APPROX 5 DAYS WITH THE ABOVE RESULTS. i AM CHANGING to Microbe Lift just as soon as it arrives.

Any more suggestions for help with both ammonia, and ph.

Thanks

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting an Air Pump Outside when it’s nice outside? Pump air in to the Aquarium or better yet into the skimmer? Also do you have gravel in your tank? I usaully don’t have a problem with pH on a new tank with coral based gravel. The Awning type basement windows don’t provide a lot of ventilation! About killed myself, acid washing the floor for Ceramic Tile preparation. BTW, if you live in the city, I’ve seen times when outdoor CO2, is higher than indoor CO2. Gave us a fit, on Automated Buildings, with CO2 based ventilation.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of Youtube vids on this issue, esp BRS…
Going through this now, and a common issue during summer months, closed up homes and high indoor CO2 levels….
Kalkwasser is a option
CO2 scrubber is a option
Randys new high pH 2pt formula is another …

I’ve done the 1st and 2nd ….
Kalkwasser is a semi pain as you will need a large container and a dosing system, pumps won’t last long or a stirrer/Nielsen reactor
CO2 scrubber might be cost prohibitive with on going media cost

option 3 I’m exploring now but the thread is long and currently active…. It will require 2-3 dosing heads but might be the most compact/cost effective

edit ADD : just read previous post +1. ^^^^ option 4

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has tank been running? What test are you using to test for ammonia? What size tank? Skimmer? alk?
Tank has been up for about 2 Months, using API Ammonia Test Kit. Don't have skimmer right now. Not a reef tank, just 45 gallon tank. All fish and clean up crew looks great, along with my corals.

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting an Air Pump Outside when it’s nice outside? Pump air in to the Aquarium or better yet into the skimmer? Also do you have gravel in your tank? I usaully don’t have a problem with pH on a new tank with coral based gravel. The Awning type basement windows don’t provide a lot of ventilation! About killed myself, acid washing the floor for Ceramic Tile preparation. BTW, if you live in the city, I’ve seen times when outdoor CO2, is higher than indoor CO2. Gave us a fit, on Automated Buildings, with CO2 based ventilation.
Live in rural in mountains, nice air quality here most of time, have natural live marine sand with live rocks. also have two air stones in rocks going also., don't have skimmer only a 45 gallon tank not reef tank, have that small fan might fit in window to bring more fresh air in.
Thanks

SaltyTwigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me... I would not worry about PH of 7.6 as this is fish only. The ammonia on the other hand I would worry about, and would do water changes and add either Dr Tims One and Only or Microbacter 7 to get it to zero.

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a very small fan near the open window and is helping now 7.7 thanks for the advice

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity good

Numbers would be more helpful...

What are you using to test pH? I'm more convinced this is testing error. If you have left your windows open and you aren't in a big city, then you should see MUCH higher pH than 7.6, at least in the 8.2+ range.

Something's off... How much flow is there in the systems? Could we get a picture?

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put small fan in basement window, is working , thank you now ph 7.9 this morning salinity is1.023 thanks for the help on the ph

OP
OP
Gettie

Gettie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning 08/03/2023 is now 7.9 ph working thanks and salinity now 102.3 Thanks
I put a very small fan near the open window and is helping now 7.7 thanks for the advice

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back