My power shut off...

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fine for a couple hours. If temp isn't a huge issue where you are, I would just go grab a little battery powered air pump from walmart or your local sporting goods store (it will be in the fishing section). If is going to be several days I would look at ways to get a generator or run your return pump off an inverter for your car.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are home. For the immediate response water flow. So battery operated pumps from Walmart, # of pumps depending on the size of the tank.
Then if temps start to creep, ice in a bag and float

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing you don't have a generator or battery with inverter available (such as a 120v outlet in your car).

In my opinion the 2 most dangerous issues for shorter term outages are oxygen levels and ammonia. Every 30 minutes or so take something like a kitchen whisk and agitate the surface of the water violently to promote gas exchange. If you have a larger tank, stir the water through the tank with a large spoon or flat board. Just something to get the water flowing through the rocks.

Most tanks do just fine even left alone for a few hours but this is what I would do to be on the safer side.

EYE-CANDY AQUATICS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue when power goes out is there is no flow in the tank and now way to replace the oxygen in the water. By adding a better powered pump to the tank you can last a couple days without light with minimal loss

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back