Jim (Tiny)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1478313122364.jpg
1478313132403.jpg
1478313141527.jpg
HELP PLEASE! !!!! Has anyone seen anything like this before. I've had my porcupine puffer in quarantine for a little over a week and that little white pimple above his left eye has appeared I've never seen anything like it before any thoughts

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks too big to be ick/velvet or flukes. Not sure what it is besides some kind of fluid filled area. Swelling pretty much. You could try Epsom Salt to reduce the swelling along with vitamins to help him along. Unless @Humblefish has other ideas of course.

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a "skin tag" some puffers I've treated get. Usually goes away on its own, but that can take months. Does it look anything like this?

dsc_0935_zpsvoffpuns-jpg.1342

The fish does have ich on the fins/eyeball, but a scope ID confirmed this area was not ich. Took months for it to heal even after the fish was cleared of trophonts.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also seen these "skin tags" on puffers and never paid any attention. I hope this is what you're dealing with. It's always been on dogface and the like however.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the photos again (on my laptop, not the stupid phone); yours looks more like an external growth of some kind. o_O

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get back home, I've got a photo of a Porcupine on my desktop that I think looks very similar. I will double check. It went away after a couple of months.

OP
OP
Jim (Tiny)

Jim (Tiny)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a "skin tag" some puffers I've treated get. Usually goes away on its own, but that can take months. Does it look anything like this?

dsc_0935_zpsvoffpuns-jpg.1342

The fish does have ich on the fins/eyeball, but a scope ID confirmed this area was not ich. Took months for it to heal even after the fish was cleared of trophonts.
It looks more yellow. That might just be that color. I will definitely keep a close eye on it for sure

OP
OP
Jim (Tiny)

Jim (Tiny)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks too big to be ick/velvet or flukes. Not sure what it is besides some kind of fluid filled area. Swelling pretty much. You could try Epsom Salt to reduce the swelling along with vitamins to help him along. Unless @Humblefish has other ideas of course.

Epsom Salt: Treats eye and other injuries. Popeye in one eye usually means injury, but popeye in both eyes usually denotes a bacterial infection requiring antibiotic treatment. Cloudy eye can be a bacterial infection or flukes.

How To Treat - 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of aquarium water. Repeat only once, if necessary. Use only “USP” grade Epsom salt.

Pros - Reef safe, as Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate.

Cons/Side Effects - The effects of excessive sulfate in a reef aquarium are not fully known.
For sure nothing like ick or fluke. It's been there for 2 days now. Not to worried yet. I will keep the Epson salt in mind TKS

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1478313122364.jpg
1478313132403.jpg
1478313141527.jpg
HELP PLEASE! !!!! Has anyone seen anything like this before. I've had my porcupine puffer in quarantine for a little over a week and that little white pimple above his left eye has appeared I've never seen anything like it before any thoughts

Hi. I'm debating getting a porcupine puffer and just curious how you moved him to your tank. did you net him or use a bucket? How did you not pour any store water he was in in your tank?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back