OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

Shoulder Deep in Saltwater.......Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week at therapeutic copper levels and I'm happy to report that both the Wrasse and Angel are doing AWESOME! They are both eating like pigs. They will literally eat everything I put in the tank.

I've been feeding a mix of Formula one and Hikari frozen mysis mixed daily with Seachem Metroplex and Focus as a binder . I also splashed a little GarlicGaurd in there but I may skip it on the next batch since it doesn't seem like they need to be enticed to eat. In addition I also have a clip with seaweed sheet throughout the day for the angel to graze.

25% Water change planned for today. I'll adjust the copper in the water mix before switching it out to ensure the levels don't drop for any period of time.

I am running about 10 MarinePure Ceramic Bio-spheres in the sump to help with Ammonia I'm also changing the filter sock every 3 days to keep levels as low as possible. Currently Ammonia is near zero.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm waiting I figured I'd try my skill at making a screen top to keep the jumpers in.
IMG_7126.JPG

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week at therapeutic copper levels and I'm happy to report that both the Wrasse and Angel are doing AWESOME! They are both eating like pigs. They will literally eat everything I put in the tank.

I've been feeding a mix of Formula one and Hikari frozen mysis mixed daily with Seachem Metroplex and Focus as a binder . I also splashed a little GarlicGaurd in there but I may skip it on the next batch since it doesn't seem like they need to be enticed to eat. In addition I also have a clip with seaweed sheet throughout the day for the angel to graze.

25% Water change planned for today. I'll adjust the copper in the water mix before switching it out to ensure the levels don't drop for any period of time.

I am running about 10 MarinePure Ceramic Bio-spheres in the sump to help with Ammonia I'm also changing the filter sock every 3 days to keep levels as low as possible. Currently Ammonia is near zero.
Wouldn't the marine pure spheres absorb copper and possibly effect the level of copper in the water?

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reef Box Nice lid! Where did you buy the material to build it?

The frame is just some old acrylic I had laying around with a 1/8 groove cut for the retaining cord. The netting is 1/8 from BRS. Much stronger and better looking than the aluminum DIY kits from lowes.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only a week left of copper treatment I wanted to report that there hasn't been much of a change. Both the Angel and the Wrasse are looking good although the Wrasse is eating like a maniac while the Angel has slowed a bit. Still feeding the mix of food treated with Metro and Focus. I was thinking I could ease off of the treated food but I did notice a white stringy poo in the tank yesterday (unsure of which fish it came from) so I will continue that for at least the next week. I will be removing the copper a week from Saturday. I picked up some Polyfilters, set up an activated carbon reactor as well as a small reactor with Cuprisorb. I should be able to run those for a few days before I do a water change so I can start Prazi the following week.

OP
OP
Reef Box

Reef Box

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Emergency Copper Removal this morning! My plan was to make it through the week and start copper removal this weekend however, the angel hasn't eaten at all for a few days (except tiny little pieces that I could barely see until yesterday or the day before). Today I saw it sitting on the bottom of the tank breathing but not really trying to stay upright. I turned on the Carbon and Cuprisorb reactors and put the Poly-filter under the overflow pipe. I'm really really hoping the little guy is just over the copper or that somehow the ammonia levels creeped up without me knowing and that he'll be ok. He came back from near dead in the beginning I just hope he can do it one more time. FYI Wrasse shows absolutely no signs of stress or any issues. Still practically jumps out of the water at feeding time and tears the seaweed sheet to shreds as soon as I refill it. Today pretty much marks 30 days exactly at therapeutic copper levels of 2.0 or slightly higher. Neither fish show any spots characteristic to Velvet or ICH at this time

If it is the copper and I get it pulled out does anyone know if a fish will recover from any damage caused or once it gets to this point is he likely a goner?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back