My raffle Clown tank build.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While attending a frag swap at a local coral farm I took $10 from my wallet and bought a few raffle tickets for a pair of Maroon lightening clowns. Don't know why other than why not and I love the look of them. I didn't even consider what I would do if I won the raffle. Well, you guessed it, I won!

Now what? I already have a pair of mated clowns that are currently laying eggs in my 220g tank. That's a hole different story. Best part is the owner of the coral farm was more than happy to hold on to them while I make the decision and get things setup for them.

I toyed around with a few options for where to house the clowns.
  • Adding to existing 220g tank. This is out of the question as I already have a mated pair in there and the current tank mates all get along and the tank is super peaceful and I want to keep it that way. So not adding to the main tank. Super easy decision here and took all of 30 seconds to make.
  • All in one tank. Something like the Nuvo line in about 30-40 gallons. Found a few locally used. This was something that I have thought about setting up for some time. I want to like the idea of a all in one and compact design with little to no plumbing and simplicity. The cost of the two used tanks were reasonable and I debated with myself and my reef friend about which way to go for quite some time. I think the main reason for not going with one of these was just size. These are maroon clowns and from what I have read and have been told a 30g may be barely large enough. There was a 38g one available but again, water volume is key and was not sure this would be a long term home. I am also not a super fan of the skimmer and reactor choices for all in one tanks. While I agree these things are not mandatory they are something I want to have the option of using if necessary. I know there are a ton of very successful all in one tanks out there and hats off to all who have them its just not what I am ready to take on.
  • Cube tank. Always wanted to have one and this was the excuse I needed. I looked at a 35g that was available at the local fish store but just not big enough. I wanted plenty of room for the clowns and then thought about making it a dedicated clown and anemone tank. 60g cube hit the mark. it just took time to talk myself into it. I have found that I need to be excited and pumped about the project in order to maximize the chance of success. This was when it came to me that this is the setup @Bulk Reef Supply is using for the ULM tank testing. Perfect source of all kinds of equipment and setup solutions for this combination of tank and stand. So tonight was the start of binge watching all the episodes of the series to make some choices on equipment and methods for this tank.
So the current plan is to get the tank on order tomorrow. My local fish store can get it here by Friday if I place the order tomorrow. I called @Bulk Reef Supply fist but they dont sell the setup they are using fr the ULM series, *cough* should *cough* stock *cough*.. hint hint.

I am going to pick up the clowns this weekend and get them going through QT now. I have a 20g that is already setup and been running for months and has an established filtration and lighting solution that can easily server as their home for a month or two while the new tank is setup and cycles. They are small and the 20g has rocks and stuff in it so its a good home environment for them while they wait. Its all disposable just in case they need any medication.

I also have some new reef saver rock currently soaking in my main display sump for the past few weeks that should provide a good starter source of established bacteria for the new tank. I like using dry rock for starting tanks but having these sitting in the main tank fuge will definitely help things along. Along with that I will also use Dr Tim's one and only to seed the new tank. Its what I did on my 220g and it really did the job.

So on to continue watching and making a shopping list. Need to prioritize the equipment needs to get water cycling and what can be added as I move along.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures of the fish yet. I saw them in the tank at the coral farm and knew I had to at least try. I plan on picking them up this weekend and will post picture when they get home in the QT tank.

Ordered the tank this morning and should be here Friday. Also went to @Bulk Reef Supply for the overflow, drills, bulkheads and the reef saver dry rock. That all should be here Friday as well so look for a video of drilling the tank as well as some planning of the space it will be placed in. Busy weekend for sure but super pumped about the project.

So far I have gone with the following.

Marineland 60g cube tank with black stand.
  • Yeah, could have built my own stand but didn't feel like it, don't want to and to be honest I am ok with the stock stands for now. Maybe I will change it later but that is a project for later.
Reef saver dry rock
  • I have used it in the past and like it so its going in this tank as well. I will hand select some tonga and platform speciality rocks from my LFS.
Synergy reef 16" overflow.
  • This was a tough decision between this one and the Eshopps 12" overflow. The Pro on the EShopps was that it came with the drill bit for drilling the holes. The con was the small size and lack of the elbows that are provided in the synergy overflow. Maybe the Eshopps would have worked just fine but I opted for the larger space and the convenience of the provided elbows provided in the Synergy overflow. I plan on running the overflow in the bean/animal configuration so space and the convenience of the provided elbows for this provided by the synergy overflow.
HW Marine Salt
  • This is what I use in my main tank so it goes without saying it will be used in this tank as well.
High quality gate valve.
  • Already made the ball valve mistake n the main tank for the drain. Won't do that again. Yes, I have gate valves on the big tank, replaced them awhile ago.

This week will be choosing the sump. Watched the video and know the options that @Bulk Reef Supply used. My main requirement is that it holds a skimmer and has a refugium. I like refugiums and will put one in this tank as well. May build my own using a cube tank but need to look at all options.

I wouldn't mind some recommendations for a skimmer that will fit and work well in this system. Looks like the stand provided maximum of 29" height so a short skimmer is a must just like in my big tank. For that one I went with a simplicity 540DC and it has worked very well. Maybe just a smaller one for this tank.

It will have a controller and a ATO on it. Apex seems like overkill but I use one on my big tank and having a common ecosystem for the controller is worth something to me.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a tough decision between this one and the Eshopps 12" overflow. The Pro on the EShopps was that it came with the drill bit for drilling the holes.
Another difference is that the weir on the Synergy is removable. That's not nothing; cleaning those can be a pain after a while.

I wouldn't mind some recommendations for a skimmer that will fit and work well in this system.
Only skimmer I've ever had is a Curve 7 - which is too large for your needs. Sorry I can't suggest something for you, but I'm sure someone will be able to. :)

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, removable weir, didnt see that and you are right, that's a good feature to have for sure. Starting to feel better for going with the higher cost option this time. I did get shipping confirmation and the drills and overflow will be here this weekend. Can't wait to get drilling on this one. I have drilled a few other tanks for sumps and stuff so not new to it but still nerve racking drilling into a brand new tank... :)

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump options.

I have found a potential candidate for the sump. Marineland makes a 27g cube that will fit perfect in the stand with some room above for necessary maintenance of the equioment. The sctual sump tank however, is not removable through the door and where i plan to put the tank will not allow for access to the rear of the stand. Options that keep the sump tank removable through the front door is basically a 20g tank. I like the idea of the extra room the cube tank gives me for the sump over the classic rectangular tank. Is the additional sump space worth the hassle if the sump tank has to come out for some reason?

I looked at the somatic sumps that @Bulk Reef Supply mentioned and they are interesting but none of them have a fuge section planned out. I could make on in it with some acrylic but if i have to do that i may as well make all the chambers. Pkus the optional accesories can add up quickly on the somatic sumps. Decisons, decisions.

netdawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High quality gate valve.
  • Already made the ball valve mistake n the main tank for the drain. Won't do that again. Yes, I have gate valves on the big tank, replaced them awhile ago.

What sort of gate valve are you using that's reef safe, material appropriate?

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A spears gate valve from @Bulk Reef Supply. Reef safe and works like a dream on my big tank drains. It is a bit pricy but in the grand view of costs its less than a nice acan frag so its a deal... lol

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looking closer at the somatic sumps the 90g version does have room in the drain chamber for some fuge action. For that matter so does the 60g version. Not much but something. The 90g would fit but would need the support board like the BRS video shows. For the 60g version, even adding the sock holder and the pump basket its not a terrible deal...

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While attending a frag swap at a local coral farm I took $10 from my wallet and bought a few raffle tickets for a pair of Maroon lightening clowns. Don't know why other than why not and I love the look of them. I didn't even consider what I would do if I won the raffle. Well, you guessed it, I won!

Now what? I already have a pair of mated clowns that are currently laying eggs in my 220g tank. That's a hole different story. Best part is the owner of the coral farm was more than happy to hold on to them while I make the decision and get things setup for them.

I toyed around with a few options for where to house the clowns.
  • Adding to existing 220g tank. This is out of the question as I already have a mated pair in there and the current tank mates all get along and the tank is super peaceful and I want to keep it that way. So not adding to the main tank. Super easy decision here and took all of 30 seconds to make.
  • All in one tank. Something like the Nuvo line in about 30-40 gallons. Found a few locally used. This was something that I have thought about setting up for some time. I want to like the idea of a all in one and compact design with little to no plumbing and simplicity. The cost of the two used tanks were reasonable and I debated with myself and my reef friend about which way to go for quite some time. I think the main reason for not going with one of these was just size. These are maroon clowns and from what I have read and have been told a 30g may be barely large enough. There was a 38g one available but again, water volume is key and was not sure this would be a long term home. I am also not a super fan of the skimmer and reactor choices for all in one tanks. While I agree these things are not mandatory they are something I want to have the option of using if necessary. I know there are a ton of very successful all in one tanks out there and hats off to all who have them its just not what I am ready to take on.
  • Cube tank. Always wanted to have one and this was the excuse I needed. I looked at a 35g that was available at the local fish store but just not big enough. I wanted plenty of room for the clowns and then thought about making it a dedicated clown and anemone tank. 60g cube hit the mark. it just took time to talk myself into it. I have found that I need to be excited and pumped about the project in order to maximize the chance of success. This was when it came to me that this is the setup @Bulk Reef Supply is using for the ULM tank testing. Perfect source of all kinds of equipment and setup solutions for this combination of tank and stand. So tonight was the start of binge watching all the episodes of the series to make some choices on equipment and methods for this tank.
So the current plan is to get the tank on order tomorrow. My local fish store can get it here by Friday if I place the order tomorrow. I called @Bulk Reef Supply fist but they dont sell the setup they are using fr the ULM series, *cough* should *cough* stock *cough*.. hint hint.

I am going to pick up the clowns this weekend and get them going through QT now. I have a 20g that is already setup and been running for months and has an established filtration and lighting solution that can easily server as their home for a month or two while the new tank is setup and cycles. They are small and the 20g has rocks and stuff in it so its a good home environment for them while they wait. Its all disposable just in case they need any medication.

I also have some new reef saver rock currently soaking in my main display sump for the past few weeks that should provide a good starter source of established bacteria for the new tank. I like using dry rock for starting tanks but having these sitting in the main tank fuge will definitely help things along. Along with that I will also use Dr Tim's one and only to seed the new tank. Its what I did on my 220g and it really did the job.

So on to continue watching and making a shopping list. Need to prioritize the equipment needs to get water cycling and what can be added as I move along.
following

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thinking about using the Icecap 3K gyre pump in this tank. I like the idea of potentially using one pump to give me the correct pulsing flow through the tank to keep all the tenticles moving. Any thoughts from the crowd on if this pump is up to the task.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Ordered the return pump. Going with the same brand that i am using on the big tank. EFlux Current DC return pump. FOr the 60g I am using the 1900gph version. I figured after head loss in the plumbing I would be right around 950GPH which should be plenty for this tank and the planned inhabitants. It also goes well with the overflow rating if I stick with 1" main drain. Correct me on any of this if I got it wrong.

I am also going with the 1K Icecap gyre pump. Considered the 3K but I think it would be far to much for the LPS and clown dominated tank.

Picked up the tank and stand from the LFS yesterday. voided the tank warranty 30 minutes after getting it home by drilling 4 holes in it. LOL

20180302_211107.jpg

Then double voided it by painting one pane black.
20180302_213023.jpg

However, the tank didn't make it through shipping. Had a crack int eh wood and some serious issues with the paint. The LFS was fantastic and placed an order for a replacement stand no questions or issues. I will be sure to inspect the next one before taking it home.

Test fitted the overflow and the return bulkheads and everything fits great. Took it all apart and cleaned the tank and will let it sit the next few days to let the paint cure and harden before assembling it all again. In the mean time I will rinse the reef saver rock and start planning the aquscape.

I went to The Reef Farm, the local coral farm where I won the clowns from and picked them up today. We had the tank all clean, filled with fresh water, some Dr Tims and fresh carbon in the reactor for them.

Pardon the pics and the dirty glass but the inside was clean, I promise. I will take some better pics once they settle in a few days.
20180303_161650.jpg 20180303_161416.jpg 20180303_161403.jpg

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here is the challenge I am having. The cube stand is very limited on space and I am trying to decide on a few different routes to take for the sump.
  • Trigger sump - Ruby - $350
    • They have them with refugium, skimmer and return pump chambers.
    • The options and features make it very attractive.
    • Refugium section is in the front which makes it easy to service and maintain the fuge.
    • Uses regular filter socks but they are in the back which make it not so easy to manage.
    • Cost is one of the main issues with this option. At $380+ its a steep price to pay.
    • Will take up all of the space in the stand on the base. There is some vertical space for the dosing pump but the containers are a challenge.
  • Skimz UP22 - #240.00
    • It only has a skimmer and return pump section.
    • It has dosing tube holders.
    • It has probe holders.
    • Adjustable skimmer level.
    • It is only 12" wide which would leave me extra room in the stand for dosing containers.
    • I could also run a cheato reactor instead of a refugium.
  • Eshopps Cube - $299
    • They have one version that has a refugium section.
    • The main issue here is that the refugium is at the back which makes it difficult to manage.
    • It also uses a vendor specific filter sock. What? I have to buy only from them? No way. To bad.
  • Somatic 60 - $280 ($360 with necessary options)
    • Awesome price considering it comes with a skimmer.
    • Requires a separate filter sock holder $30
    • Requires a separate return pump basket. $50
    • Does not have a fuge section but could run cheato reactor.
    • Allows for some extra space in the stand.
  • Make my own
    • I can fit a 20g but it would have to sit in the center of the stand and would poke out the back about an inch.
    • Would be difficult to fit everything in a 20g but I have seen how it could be done.
    • Would rather have more water volume in the sump.
    • Takes time and since I use glass in my sumps its not as much of a cost savings over the Skimz
So its sitting at either the Skimz or the Somatic.

Even with the additional cost of the add on's the Somatic is still cheaper since it comes with a skimmer. the other plus is that it would be super easy to clean. Its small enough that it would allow room for a cheato reactor if I find I need one. It would also allow for some room in front of the sump. Its an attractive option. They also have a stackable dosing container option that would be a benefit in the limited space. I am thinking I may got this route.

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me and money was no object I would go with the Trigger. Between your two picks I’d probably do Skimz so I wouldn’t have to make the separate purchases. The extra stand space would probably be nice too.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wish money was no object. Lol. After a lot of thought I ended up with the Skimz sump. I was almost set on the somatic but when I looked at the stacking dosing containers something stood out. They are all different sizes. 1500ml, 1000ml and 500ml. The two main dosing systems like Triton and ATI are based on dosing equal parts. Having different volume would not be ideal.

Also the Skimz was a good size and can be placed front to back or side to side and gives me plenty of additional room for dosing containers and dosing pumps and the possible cheato reactor. It also has all the bells and whistles I need for this tank. It's a pretty good value option for me.

The somatic was very close but to much hassle with all the add on purchases. The dosing containers at $129 was the nail in the coffin. I May buy the somatic skimmer though. Lol

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to rant it bit here. So since this was a quick build and I don't have a ton of free time I went to my LFS and ordered the tank and stand as a kit. I figured it would be good enough for awhile and I could always take some time in the future to upgrade the stand if needed. I knew I would be getting a MDF stand and again, it was the right decision for the present time.

However, the first stand came in broken. I didn't look at *** at the store and only found it when I was looking it over and planning how I was going to mount all the equipment. It was cracked in the top right corner of the door opening and also in the lower left corner of the same opening. I then took a closer look at the rest of the stand and on the left side panel there was a paint run that was just massive. It not only could be seen but it could be felt. I called the LFS and to their credit they ordered a replacement with no questions. They were very helpful and apologetic about the trouble.

I waited a week for the replacement and today it arrived. All of the other equipment is also here so I am just hours away from adding water and starting the cycle. I went to the store and inspected the new stand. Uggg, defective again. The staples were visible on the front trim pieces. Not kind of visible, very visible. The front of the stand mind you. I mean it wasn't even hard to see. It is obvious that Deep Blue has some serious quality control issues. I had to ask for a refund and again the LFS stood by the product and issued me a refund on the spot. Its sad that the LFS has to deal with the issues from Deep Blue like that.

So here I am with everything I need but a stand. That's it, I am going to build my own. I drew out a quick plan and went to the homed depot and bought the framing material tonight. Used 1x4 poplar wood to make the frame. Now, I am no carpenter but I know that it will be better than the ones I have received from Deep Blue so far. Here is the basic frame. Tomorrow, well today since its past midnight I will add the skin and get some paint on it. I would still like to get the stand done by the end of the weekend. This is just the frame, will add a plywood sheet for the floor and some plywood for the top and the skin. I built it just big enough to get the sump in the front door and be able to turn it inside the stand.

20180309_235135.jpg 20180309_235214.jpg 20180309_235218.jpg

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the stand that weekend and got the tank up and running in the house. So that's the good part. The bad part is the I had a leak in the main drain plumbing and in the overflow. The plumbing issue was easy to resolve. Cut it out and redo it. I also took the time to add a few unions where I forgot to add them. The overflow issue was also easy to resolve. It was simply just not tightening it enough. I watched a video about installing the overflow and they mention just tighten it hand tight. Well, hand tight is pretty relative. For me my hand tight was leaky. Once I put an additional 1/4 turn on it the weeping stopped.

After straightening all this out the tank is water tight and back in its normal position. I added a dose of ammonium chloride and Dr. Tim's one and only bacteria. Its been a week and just monitoring the ammonia levels with a sea-chem badge. Figure it will be a few weeks. So now its figuring out what the rest of the equipment is going to be. I have to decide on these items yet.
  • Skimmer
    • Figured this one out due to @Bulk Reef Supply getting one of the Somatic 60 skimmers in the open box inventory. 169.00 was too good of a deal to pass up on a skimmer they seem to think is a great deal We will see how it stacks up once its in the sump.
  • ATO system
    • This was a tough decision. I have a Apex setup on my main tank and its worked very well for me. I like that it supports leak detection and can run without an Apex. I am not hot on the idea of putting a full blown Apex on this tank. but I do like the idea of a controller. But then again, this is a good place to try out other options. Long and short of it I went with the Tunze Nano ATO setup. On sale this weekend on @Bulk Reef Supply so lets see how it stacks up, just like the skimmer.
  • Lighting
    • I was going to go with the Kessil A380 and was all set to get it but then checked with my wife and she flat out rejected it. Hated the look and instead told me to go with the Ecotech Radion XR15. Twist my arm. lol.
  • Dosing pump
    • Thinking Jaebo here. Using Apex DOS on main tank but again, this is a tank to try new things.
  • Dosing containers
    • Probably use the same containers as I use on the main tank. Simple food containers with nice sealed tops that are 1500ml. I may get the 2500ml versions though since this tank is going to run ATI due to the availability and shipping disasters with Triton solutions. Going to transition the main tank as well. Due to the lower concentration of the ATI fluids I may need larger dosing containers. But hey, that's easier to change than getting Triton right now.
  • Controller
    • Not sure which one to use. Don't need full blown Apex but the Jr looks about right. but am intrigued by the other options out there. I have time to decide on this one but wouldn't mind some opinions.
20180310_190055.jpg 20180311_130631.jpg 20180311_155856.jpg 20180311_173522.jpg 20180313_055934.jpg

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to the container store this weekend and got some 1500ml clear containers for the dosing containers for the ATI essentials that will run on this tank. I also bought three mixing jugs that were 5L for the same purpose. So sad that Triton is all in a mess right now as I like it on the main tank but refuse to be on a constant hunt for it. SO it will move to ATI along with this tank.

I cant wait for the ATO to get here. Very tired of adding water every day. I don't know how people do it that don't run an ATO system. On that subject. Why are simple 5g ATO tanks so expensive. 100+ for a 5g square box to hold water? So after looking around I hate to admit it but a 6.00 Home depot bucket and lid may be the ending choice. It fits right where I need it, hold over 5g and with a lid and a simple murlock connector will be easy to fill and service. May not win pretty sump of the month but will be effective.

I am now just in a decision point for a tank controller. While the pump has a controller for speed, the Icecap is controllable and the skimmer is simple on and off I want a controller for the basic stuff like feed modes and heater control. Don't want to spend the $800 on a full size Apex but dont want nothing so looking for options...

The cycle is going well. Ammonia down to 1.2 and nitrites are over 1 and Nitrates are present so I will continue to monitor. The seachem badge is almost yellow now so its moving in the right direction. Will check again this weekend.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Ordered the return pump. Going with the same brand that i am using on the big tank. EFlux Current DC return pump. FOr the 60g I am using the 1900gph version. I figured after head loss in the plumbing I would be right around 950GPH which should be plenty for this tank and the planned inhabitants. It also goes well with the overflow rating if I stick with 1" main drain. Correct me on any of this if I got it wrong.

I am also going with the 1K Icecap gyre pump. Considered the 3K but I think it would be far to much for the LPS and clown dominated tank.

Picked up the tank and stand from the LFS yesterday. voided the tank warranty 30 minutes after getting it home by drilling 4 holes in it. LOL

20180302_211107.jpg

Then double voided it by painting one pane black.
20180302_213023.jpg

However, the tank didn't make it through shipping. Had a crack int eh wood and some serious issues with the paint. The LFS was fantastic and placed an order for a replacement stand no questions or issues. I will be sure to inspect the next one before taking it home.

Test fitted the overflow and the return bulkheads and everything fits great. Took it all apart and cleaned the tank and will let it sit the next few days to let the paint cure and harden before assembling it all again. In the mean time I will rinse the reef saver rock and start planning the aquscape.

I went to The Reef Farm, the local coral farm where I won the clowns from and picked them up today. We had the tank all clean, filled with fresh water, some Dr Tims and fresh carbon in the reactor for them.

Pardon the pics and the dirty glass but the inside was clean, I promise. I will take some better pics once they settle in a few days.
20180303_161650.jpg 20180303_161416.jpg 20180303_161403.jpg
Beautiful clowns!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back