My Re-Aquascape Plan

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of getting ready to tear down my reef and re-aquascape. I had help setting this up almost 4 years ago when I didn't know anything. Still don't know a lot. This time I'm hoping to finally get it right. Here is just a random picture of my aquarium that is in the wall now. Another picture that I just took off the Internet to get an idea of what I am thinking about and what I like more minimalist aquascape with more surface area but still have hiding spots and caves. And then some pictures of my 20 & 30 Gallon set up in my garage that I will use to keep the fish and what corals I can save and then Frag tanks in the future.

I still have tweaks left on this set-up and I’m ready to use them. I’m just about sure I will go with some of the shelf rock that Live Aquaria has and hope to break some of the rock up that I have to create my new aquascape. Thats where I am at right now in this journey any comments and or suggestions welcome as I have never do this before.
I have allot more information to add I know.

Phil

IMG_7264.JPG

fullsizeoutput_175c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_177c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_177e.jpeg

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a plan. Use of fiberglass rods for structure support will help in keeping shelf's in place. If it was totally dry rock, I'd suggest rods and quikrete hydraulic cement. Works well in securing structures.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixed problem of having to remember to fill my ATO container it feeds from my RP/DI and SW mixing station above in attic

fullsizeoutput_17a4.jpeg

IMG_2901.JPG

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tank in the wall. I think the rockscape now in it is really nice. But I can relate to a redo. I just redid mine after 10 years of looking at a giant rock wall.

Put up pix when you get it mocked up to get an idea of what you are thinking. Anything you put in that wall tank I am sure will be nice

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is an earlier picture of that side of the aquarium the wall would be great for a bigger aquarium but believe me when I stand up on top and try to work on it .....not can't see.
That's why I'm thinking minimalist with one of those magnetic live rock looking frag rack or now that I think of it why couldn't I make my own out of the same rock I go with.

CbkN5aUuQpqx3RH4hyV2Ww.jpg

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I need to make my mind up on how or what is the best or easiest or I don't know. My original idea was to use some extra rock maybe shelf rock from live aquaria and mix that with the rock I had to develop a new aqua scape not sure whether chisel and a hammer how much success I would have with my old rock? Should I just go with one of the choices below. Comments and suggestions are quite welcome I am really in a quandary here of all what's the best way to go.
MarcoRocks REEF SAVER AQUARIUM DRY LIVE ROCK
CaribSea SHAPES LIFEROCK DRY LIVE ROCK

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea SHAPES LIFEROCK DRY LIVE ROCK Ordered yesterday and things will get underway to see how I can do at aquascaping.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I need to figure out the Coral Placement to go with the aquascape. I am thinking about colors and growth and of coarse compatibility. Does anyone have any reading or just pictures with the corals identified? I guess anything that will help me.
The distance that corals should be placed in the aquascape from each other gets me I look at allot of other tanks and it seems to me that they are too close to each other but at the same time if I go by what I think might be right it seems to me that there could be allot more corals in the aquascape witch of coarse would be better because it just looks better

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx Steve Any suggestions on coral placement ? I need all the help I can get I have ideas just don't know how to put the down on paper lol need to do allot more research.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update still working on everything and getting ready. Decided to do the reaquascape in the aquarium when I drain it. I am switching to Triton witch means I have to reconfigure my sump to and I need a place to put my fish so here is my method for madness LOL .......be back with video

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New video of everything. I'm planing to move fish and Inverts this week. Not really sure how it will go but I think that right before I take the bottom rock out that I should do a 20 gallon water change to reduce the nitrates that might go up. I'm just trying to reduce the stress that they will be under.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of My Fish

fullsizeoutput_1f51.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f50.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12c3.jpeg

IMG_6337.JPG

I rarely see this guy he lives under the bottom rock and wonder what else might be under there it's been 4 years now

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seapora 56219 Edge Series Aquarium Reef Ready Frag, 80 Gallon.jpg I have made my mind up but open to comments and of coarse if you think it's a mistake please comment. I am going to replace my 75 Gallon tank with a new 80 gallon rimless tank with measurements of 48"x 24"x 16"with a corner overflow. The more I thought about re-aquascaping my existing tank with the overflow where it is and trying to hide it was killing me as no matter what I though of sucked and I just hated it. I'm not sure about the 16" high but from what I see on my tank is that unless the fish are feeding the 2" at the top is just wasted water space and having the extra width will make my new acuascape so much better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I am thinking about doing this, I'm curious, how did things turn out?
Things have not gone as planned but all is not lost I hope. Unfortunately way to many reasons for not finishing what I have started. I just got back to where I am ready to put the finishing touches on a brand new aquarium. New Lights and all new plumbing.
This won't replace all that I have lost but I just have to forget about that part of everything and treat this as starting new again. I will have some pictures next week.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back