My Reef Addiction

Reefs of Space

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 24, 2018
Messages
306
Reaction score
376
Location
Anna Maria Island, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef addiction started with a 10 gallon full DIY nano. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was totally obsessed. All of the knowledge I have now came from years of trial and error through that little reef.

Screenshot_2018-05-03-06-00-37-1-1-01.jpeg
 
This is the first picture of my 30 gallon and the last picture of the 10 gallon. The old light on the 10 gallon was four T8 bulbs I retrofitted with two 5w CREE royal blues. The new light on the 30 gallon is a Hamilton Technologies with two 175w mogul metal halides and two 96w power compacts bulbs. Big difference!

#reef2reef #worldwidecorals #mywwccontest

Screenshot_2018-05-03-06-09-26-1-01.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Nice looking tank. Keep a close eye on your water temp. As a former user of MH lighting (75 & 140 gallons), I know how they heat up the water. You might end up having to get a chiller.
 
Nice looking tank. Keep a close eye on your water temp. As a former user of MH lighting (75 & 140 gallons), I know how they heat up the water. You might end up having to get a chiller.
Thanks! Yeah I did deal with temp swings at first. After adding more airflow on the water, it doesn't go above 78°F. I added some LEDs to the mix, so I only run the halides for about 3.5 hours a day.
 
I love that little tank in the background!
 
I love that little tank in the background!
Thanks man! I've got a little pest jar too. Stocked with hydroids and aiptasia. I'll eventually get to that;)

20180325_220626-01-1-1.jpg


20180322_213753-01-1-1.jpg


20171217_151805_HDR-01-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
wow.. that jar is amazing lol.. is that stagnant water or is there circulation some how that I cant see.?
It's just crystal clear stagnant water lol. I blast around in there with a turkey baster, then change the water about once a month. There's actually A LOT of life in there. I started it August 2017
 
Wow. Interesting I kinda like it what is lighting it?
It started with some bad hitchhikers I got with some frags and I just didn't want to throw them in the trash so.. And now every time I find something I put it in there. I put some 6500k leds that I already had in the lid. I think they were from a freshwater setup.

20180530_213608_HDR-01.jpeg


20180530_213620_HDR-01.jpeg
 
I run the lights through different stages through out the day. A few hours of halides, few hours of full spectrum, and a few hours of actinics. The cycle is 1 hour actinics, 3.5 hours halides, 4 hours full spectrum, 3 hours actinics.
 
Finally got rid of my long spined sea urchin. Once the tank was clean it started eating clove polyps. Then moved on to blastos, acans, and montipora. I was feeding it strips of nori every other day, but it wasn't enough to keep it satisfied.

IMG_20180814_123639_407.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new