OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they're shoveling gravel out of their driveway instead of sand out of a rock tank it ought to be a boost to what you have. ;) For the cost I think I'd try it. (I've never been able to figure out how to order from them though! :D Hopefully that's more straightforward now than it has been.)
I've heard several cases where everything arrived dead and more than one person suspecting that their credit cards were hacked from the site because the website ordering system is very unsecured.

$200 worth of sand and another $90 in shipping.....$300?! Good deal for 100lbs of sand, but WAY overkill for your purpose.
I may pull the trigger on this when I reset my system. It makes no sense right now, but it might make all the sense in the world when I need at least 150lbs for a new setup.

I did forget one other thing that I find incredibly odd. Normally I can tell when a nitrate spike is occurring because I start seeing RTN or other coral issues. The crazy part is that once the nitrate drops back down to around 10, all RTN stops. It isn't uncommon for me to have flesh left on the last 1/2 inch of a frag and it can stay that way until the next event. I've been told that once it starts the only way to stop it is to cut fresh pieces off. That has not been my experience at all.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that once it starts the only way to stop it is to cut fresh pieces off.

That's definitely not true, but it's probably common to lose a majority that start RTN'ing. The only things I've had cause RTN are alkalinity spikes/crashes (maybe pH vs alk) and long power outages (maybe an O2 issue).

The fact that it follows N levels makes me think that it's a bloom of something causing the problem. Ever heard the v-brant folks comment about their product living on after its use has been served?

You have anything growing around the tank that looks like dino's, diatoms or cyanobacteria?

Do you normally run activated carbon?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's definitely not true, but it's probably common to lose a majority that start RTN'ing. The only things I've had cause RTN are alkalinity spikes/crashes (maybe pH vs alk) and long power outages (maybe an O2 issue).

The fact that it follows N levels makes me think that it's a bloom of something causing the problem. Ever heard the v-brant folks comment about their product living on after its use has been served?

You have anything growing around the tank that looks like dino's, diatoms or cyanobacteria?

Do you normally run activated carbon?
I have a very small patch of cyano right now which is common when I see one of these events, but I expect it will be gone in a day or two. No dino's or diatoms. I do have a dark red algae on the back glass that has been there since about the first month. Never shows up anywhere other than the back glass.

I do not run carbon. My tank hates it when I run carbon. I did a few weeks ago to try and help when my skimmer was going nuts but my tank reacted very negatively. Lost 2 frags and all my zoa's started closing up after 2 days. Pulled it out on day 3. The only filtration product I have had any luck at all with are polyfilters but I haven't run those in a few months.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a dark red algae on the back glass that has been there since about the first month.

If you could scrape this and get a look under a microscope, it might be interesting. Dark red could mean a number of things, even simply another strain of cyano. But it could also be cyano + dino's, or cyano + diatoms. Either of those combo's could be a source of toxins.

I do not run carbon. My tank hates it when I run carbon. I did a few weeks ago to try and help when my skimmer was going nuts but my tank reacted very negatively. Lost 2 frags and all my zoa's started closing up after 2 days. Pulled it out on day 3. The only filtration product I have had any luck at all with are polyfilters but I haven't run those in a few months.

How much of what kind of carbon were you running, and via what method, when you got that reaction?

If you were using something like Seachem MatrixCarbon, then no more than 250 mL would be required....and a LOT less would do for this purpose.
http://www.seachem.com/matrixcarbon.php
For our purposes 250 mL, which they claim would last for months in a 100 gallon system, would be overkill....I'd use 1/8 that amount and change it weekly.

Kent Reef Carbon is about the same at about 1 cup per month in the instructions. I'd use no more than 1/4 that amount and change it weekly.

Rinsing activated carbon is important!

And I'm thinking of toxin removal, BTW, so I'm not sure Poly-Filter will do it even though I'm a fan.....it could, I just have no idea.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could scrape this and get a look under a microscope, it might be interesting.

Getting a microscope is still on my too do list. Just waiting until I can justify getting a really nice one. Lots of the fun money is going to the new tank right now.
I'm not sure what it is, but it doesn't look like I expect when I think of dino's, cyano, or diatoms. It looks more like a film algae. It also used to die back when I used Vibrant which also leads me to think it is an algae. That said, it could be toxic.

How much of what kind of carbon were you running, and via what method, when you got that reaction?
I was using 1 cup of Kents, rinsed well, packed tight in filter floss and put in a media bag in my sump. I've tried multiple times and each time my softies really start looking rough.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get the new lights installed tonight. I have a business dinner tomorrow but will try to at least grab a cell phone picture or two before I head out to there. Will post them when possible.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a microscope is still on my too do list.

You can get plenty of utility out of a $10-$12 toy scope like I got. (Selecting a microscope)

AmScope even sells a copy of it so you can just say "I got an AmScope". Nobody but you needs to know it's a toy. :)

You can totally get cellphone pics of your dino's, cyano and everything else like that through it – great to have while you make up your mind and save your pennies for that high end scope that I know you want. ;) You can give this one away as a present when you get your Big Boy scope. :) :)

Do get a slide preparation kit IMO. The basics in this toy kit are good, but VERY basic.

I was using 1 cup of Kents

Kent is fine and what I keep on-hand.

Just use 1/8 cup at a time (7/8 less than before) and see how that goes.

I would consider the amount in the instructions to be for a fully-loaded, dirty tank that's in need of cleanup. We're not on that track. :) :)

While there's any question about the presence of toxins, I'd be running ≥0.125 cups of activated carbon...changed about weekly or so.

If you pre-rinse in tap water, there's no need for the filter floss, which will make using carbon much less painstaking. Just use a mesh bag made for the purpose. (Dirt cheap if what you have already isn't good on its own.)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, finally getting around to posting some pictures.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have done this week is clean the glass so you can see how little algae build up I get.

I am getting noticeably more coralline build up since installing the new lights. Lots of new pink dots on the plastic overflows and MP40's. I'm considering that a fantastic sign.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering why you weren't posting. I wasn't getting notifications anymore. Weird.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering why you weren't posting. I wasn't getting notifications anymore. Weird.
Life has been busy! Have a major work maintenance outage starting the end of this week and trying to get ready for it. That, and just a lot of stuff going on with family that is keeping me occupied at night more than normal.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed all these post. Usually I get notifications when someone posts.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I’m jealous that you have a Kole Tang. I’ve had 2 that haven’t survived QT.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I’m jealous that you have a Kole Tang. I’ve had 2 that haven’t survived QT.
Thanks Bronc!

I'm sure my coral issues aren't behind me, but I can keep them alive longer at least. I'm getting excited for a new system to replace this one. Once I get everything moved over and stable I will start loading up on the coral.

I love my Kole Tang. He is the the most entertaining fish in my tank and always comes to say hi when I'm anywhere near. It looks like he gets excited just like a dog would. I started a new QT practice where I treat them with copper for 12 to 14 days and move them to a clean system for observation and additional treatment. Since I have started this, my QT success has gone up. I would consider this a much better practice than treating for 30 days and pulling the copper out. I believe it is more effective and easier on the fish.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bronc!

I'm sure my coral issues aren't behind me, but I can keep them alive longer at least. I'm getting excited for a new system to replace this one. Once I get everything moved over and stable I will start loading up on the coral.

I love my Kole Tang. He is the the most entertaining fish in my tank and always comes to say hi when I'm anywhere near. It looks like he gets excited just like a dog would. I started a new QT practice where I treat them with copper for 12 to 14 days and move them to a clean system for observation and additional treatment. Since I have started this, my QT success has gone up. I would consider this a much better practice than treating for 30 days and pulling the copper out. I believe it is more effective and easier on the fish.
Do u have any other tangs? My Kole tang was a mean sob

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have any other tangs? My Kole tang was a mean sob
I have a yellow, hippo, kole and convict tang. They have been together for a few months now. My yellow stopped eating, or at least isn't eating enough, but otherwise they get along great. Not sure the problem with the yellow is related or not.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of sad news today. I woke up and my Yellow Tang had died. I can't say it wasn't expected. He had been less and less active over the last few months and eating less. I guess I've had him for around 10 months but he was full grown when I got him so I have no idea how old he was. No symptoms that I saw and I've seen much thinner ones that still lived. I'm writing it off as old age.

Back