My review of the new Neptune ATO

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Apex NSI ATO kit in today and got everything setup. It was a breeze to use the ATO task wizard. The only moment of doubt was what to do with the EB823 port for the power to the FMM (Always On in case you were wondering).

Here is a picture of the Kit (I got an extra optical sensor and a leak detection sensor)
IMG_0566.JPG

Below are a couple of pictures of the mount with the optical sensors and float sensor in the tank. I had a hard time getting the magnet in place between the cabinet wall and the edge of the sump. It's got a nice rubberized pad on it that stuck it as I was sliding it between the cabinet and sump. I was surprised how sturdy it felt once in position because of that pad. I still need to remove the red sea ATO float... and that startup sand debris...
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

Here is the ATO FMM with its buddy that monitors the flow to my three rreactors and from the return pump.
IMG_0569.JPG

Here is the PMUP in my Trigger ATO reservoir. I ordered a 1 link extension for the PMUP. I was able to get it to reach; however, I didn't have the slack I really wanted in the line.
IMG_0570.JPG

I overfilled my sump with some water to make sure the entire float was submerged. I wanted to ensure it would stay in place with the float fully underwater, and it does! So it will be a bit before the pump should need to kick on.

The setup in fusion went exactly as they said it would, so nothing to talk about there. I'll post more once I've had more time to play with it.

Overall, I'm more satisfied with this than my SmartATO on the other tank so far.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for sharing this with us! I'll be interested in following the updates on this. Hopefully soon it will be available on the open market. :) In the meantime, keep us posted on any additional thoughts!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes thanks for sharing!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I really want this been holding off buying an apex till this comes out that and the FMK sure are making it tempting.
can you tell us how noisy the PMUP is?

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, a few more days have passed, and I'm still really enjoying the ATK ATO. It's been keeping the water level very consistent, and I love seeing the starts and stops in the event log in the APEX. I've been trying to mess it up by pulling water in and out, and the safety features have been consistently preventing issues. I definitely like this better than my SmartATO.

marito09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, a few more days have passed, and I'm still really enjoying the ATK ATO. It's been keeping the water level very consistent, and I love seeing the starts and stops in the event log in the APEX. I've been trying to mess it up by pulling water in and out, and the safety features have been consistently preventing issues. I definitely like this better than my SmartATO.
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the whole kit from ? Or did you buy anything separate? Thanks for posting this very helpful.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking where did you get the whole kit from ? Or did you buy anything separate? Thanks for posting this very helpful.

Neptune Systems will soon be selling the whole kit through all the place you can get an Apex. I'm part of the Neptune System Insiders (NSI) program, and was truly lucky to get a chance to test this product. They'll be selling it as the ATK (Auto Topoff Kit). Not sure of final pricing. I bought an extra optical and leak detection sensor with my kit.

marito09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Systems will soon be selling the whole kit through all the place you can get an Apex. I'm part of the Need tune System Insiders (NSI) program, and was truly lucky to get a chance to test this product. They'll be selling it as the ATK (Auto Topoff Kit). Not sure of final pricing. I bought an extra optical and leak detection sensor with my kit.
Thanks! Yeah really lucky. I was about to order the tunze 1355 but I guess I'll wait a bit.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a rinse, but I've heard wonderful things about them. For me being able to tell that it ran via fusion when I am not home provides peace of mind and is my favorite part of it.

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They updated the firmware for the module to provide new features for the standalone testers. Different beep patterns for different alarms. They also just updated the Task wizard for the ATO for us connected testers. I had never used a task wizard until I got the ATO, and I just didn't know they existed before. But I used it shortly thereafter for my WAV pumps.

The task wizard is a short cut way to accomplish something in Apex, and even if you don't use the exact programming it generates it's a wonderful starting point. They moved the way to access them to the button bar to make it easier to find in the new beta of Apex fusion. It looks like:
tasks.png

And you just click the task you want to start like the ATO one or the WAV one. Here is the full list of tasks:
tasks-list.png

Like I said it walks you through what to do and asks questions about what is connected and how it is connected. In the case of the ATO, it asks about the lower optical sensor and upper optical sensor. Then it explains what the configuration is going to do in plain English like:
atk-explained.png

When you hit send, it updates the configuration and you're good to go. This is awesome! You can then add the optical sensors and the ATO-pump power slider to your apex dashboard. You can see mine here, SWX8_1 is my low sensor and SWX8_2 is my high one:
dashboard.png

My ATO kicked on right after this screen grab.

Anyway that is the latest!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They updated the firmware for the module to provide new features for the standalone testers. Different beep patterns for different alarms. They also just updated the Task wizard for the ATO for us connected testers. I had never used a task wizard until I got the ATO, and I just didn't know they existed before. But I used it shortly thereafter for my WAV pumps.

The task wizard is a short cut way to accomplish something in Apex, and even if you don't use the exact programming it generates it's a wonderful starting point. They moved the way to access them to the button bar to make it easier to find in the new beta of Apex fusion. It looks like:
tasks.png

And you just click the task you want to start like the ATO one or the WAV one. Here is the full list of tasks:
tasks-list.png

Like I said it walks you through what to do and asks questions about what is connected and how it is connected. In the case of the ATO, it asks about the lower optical sensor and upper optical sensor. Then it explains what the configuration is going to do in plain English like:
atk-explained.png

When you hit send, it updates the configuration and you're good to go. This is awesome! You can then add the optical sensors and the ATO-pump power slider to your apex dashboard. You can see mine here, SWX8_1 is my low sensor and SWX8_2 is my high one:
dashboard.png

My ATO kicked on right after this screen grab.

Anyway that is the latest!
Cool new developments! I can't wait for this one to hit the market!

OP
OP
jasonamyers

jasonamyers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can happen, my setup isn't like that. I've seen people in the beta group who are adding siphon breaks to ensure that does not occur when they have their big RODI containers hooked up as their reservoir. It has a float value that cuts off the flow very well, but I don't think any of us want a float value our only defense in that case. So the normal things to prevent a siphon are still advised.

bluegrassreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted one of these atk ever since I seen the apex video from macna lol

Then of course the president of my local club is a beta tester and revived one from Neptune systems grrrrrrrrr! Lol

Guess I'll just have to continue to use my bob and the pmup for now lol

Pedr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear good news! I just ordered the pump for my ATO for my new tank setup.

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just purchased the Tunze 3155 this morning as it's on sale on BRS. I'm wondering if I should cancel for now pending the release of this (my new tank isn't scheduled to arrive until late May/early June). Hrrrmmm....thanks for sharing!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Apex NSI ATO kit in today and got everything setup. It was a breeze to use the ATO task wizard. The only moment of doubt was what to do with the EB823 port for the power to the FMM (Always On in case you were wondering).

Here is a picture of the Kit (I got an extra optical sensor and a leak detection sensor)
IMG_0566.JPG

Below are a couple of pictures of the mount with the optical sensors and float sensor in the tank. I had a hard time getting the magnet in place between the cabinet wall and the edge of the sump. It's got a nice rubberized pad on it that stuck it as I was sliding it between the cabinet and sump. I was surprised how sturdy it felt once in position because of that pad. I still need to remove the red sea ATO float... and that startup sand debris...
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

Here is the ATO FMM with its buddy that monitors the flow to my three rreactors and from the return pump.
IMG_0569.JPG

Here is the PMUP in my Trigger ATO reservoir. I ordered a 1 link extension for the PMUP. I was able to get it to reach; however, I didn't have the slack I really wanted in the line.
IMG_0570.JPG

I overfilled my sump with some water to make sure the entire float was submerged. I wanted to ensure it would stay in place with the float fully underwater, and it does! So it will be a bit before the pump should need to kick on.

The setup in fusion went exactly as they said it would, so nothing to talk about there. I'll post more once I've had more time to play with it.

Overall, I'm more satisfied with this than my SmartATO on the other tank so far.
What's the cost and does it work with the classic

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back