My rocks are riddled with vermetid snails. Any solutions on how to eradicate them?

gaustin24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already taken the rocks out and took the snails off at the base but they have come back with a vengeance. Any solutions on how to eradicate them from my tank?

coraler07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that sixline wrasse will sometimes eat them. Mine doesn’t. Try to remove as much manually, but otherwise a natural alternative like the wrasse is probably the best.

Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same issue the are in plague proportions in my 120gallon. I have read bumble bee snails do eat them but you will need a large number of them for this to work. I’m about to get 100 bumble bees snails for mine any day now

Upvote 0

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia X will also take them out. I tried it out of curiosity one a big one I had while treating a couple aiptasia. Stick it right down the tube and blast it. problem solved. Some of the larger ones bumblebee snails can't get their mouths all the way into the tube to extract the snail.

Upvote 0

Turkey head

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have tons of them. I have some wrasses but I don’t think they kept them under control. Bought some bumblebee snails and for all practical purposes they’re gone. I haven’t observed any negative impacts from the snails. I’m sure they eat some beneficial stuff too but I’m happy with the results.

Upvote 0

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will always have them. Learn to deal with them. Try to clear up the ones around any sps. There are a million threads in here about them. Who ever comes up with the solution will be Rich

Upvote 0

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Milwaukee Tools Laughing GIF by Jimmy the Mower

Upvote 0

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hundreds like everyone else. When I stopped broadcast feeding my corals they slowly went away without all that food in the water. Still have a few but very manageable. Coral snow should work also but I've never used it. I didn't want a tank full of BB snails!

Upvote 0

KenBabich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already taken the rocks out and took the snails off at the base but they have come back with a vengeance. Any solutions on how to eradicate them from my tank?
Bumble bee snails. Have had good success with them when I had an outbreak. These little snails are commonly used to rid systems of vermetid snails by using their elongated trunk to stick down into the crevice and consume the vermetid snail.

Upvote 0

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers - I designed this ReefTool with vermatids in mind - a sniping end with a blade and hook, then a 3-rasp spike end for large scale removal: https://reefeco.com/products/reeftool Also great for all other kinds of frag and rock cleaning and scraping. Come with a wand extension if desired, or you can mount it to a DIY wand of your own making.

ReefTool.banner2.jpg

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back