My salinity probe is crap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new apex a month ago and my salinity probe is driving me crazy.
I've calibrated 5 times and every time the probe will show correct reading for 1 day and always drops from 35 - 29 the day after. It's really frustrating when a product doesn't function correctly out of the box. Now I keep getting this alarm every day which tends to get freakin annoying.
Has anyone had same problem? have a solution?

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a new apex a month ago and my salinity probe is driving me crazy.
I've calibrated 5 times and every time the probe will show correct reading for 1 day and always drops from 35 - 29 the day after. It's really frustrating when a product doesn't function correctly out of the box. Now I keep getting this alarm every day which tends to get freakin annoying.
Has anyone had same problem? have a solution?

Did you link it up to the temp probe? That should help stablize it.

Tom

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8232.PNG

A few things. Make sure your probes aren't by any electrical devices including power cords. Second, they work best if the have a slime coat built up on the ends. Third when you calibrate make sure the calibration solution is the same temperature as the tank water. No bubbles, clean and dry. It will work.

35 ppt according to my refractometer. Hasn't been calibrated in probably 6 months. I went through the same thing. What I posted will make or break it.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to run a salinity probe an link is to use a pm2 module that has a salinity probe port an temp an use that temp probe when calibrating an make sure probe is not where air bubbles can get in tip

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to buy a pm2, or don't yet have a use for it yet, float the proper calibration fluid in the sump - same chamber as the temperature probe for 20 minutes before you try to calibrate it. Just as important, keep it away from wires and pumps.

It will get better after a few months.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can disable the Salinity alarm until you get it staightened out. I ended up placing mine in a separate area from the other probes and it seems steady for months now. Bubbles can mess the reading up as well.

coil1002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you floating the calibration solution so it is the same temp as your tank? in the advanced tab of the probe do you have temperature compensation set? mine was crap too until i re-calibrated it with the solution the same temp as my tank. Now it is spot on.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It cannot be overstated how micro bubbles will throw off this probe. I had the exactly the same results as you. I moved the probe to before the skimmer and return chamber where there are no microbubbles and the readings have been solid as a rock.

The other suggestion to float the solution in the sump by the temp probe is also valid and will help. BRS has a video showing this with the older Apex display panel but the process is sound

But get it into an area with no bubbles and you will see its all about the bubbles. This has been true for mine and my friends probe.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s the 2016 apex many of them have issues with the salinity probe. I’ve been told to put the probe in at an angle to prevent bubbles from building up. Personally I️ think it’s a design flaw because none of my older apex have this problem and if I️ move a probe with issues on the 2016 apex to a classic apex the problem goes away or if I️ put a probe with no issues on the classic onto the 2016 it will magically have issues.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALL salinity probes are crap. pretty much worthless. when does your salinity change except an auto top off glitch which the apex has other ways to prevent.

patoko878

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex gold salinity probe just started reading 1’s without doing anything on the tank. Just 6 months old. Crap

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back