My Salinity Wont Go Down!!

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that has constantly been at 1.025 specific gravity for my salinity and now I am at 1.030. I usually get my pre-mix from a specific LFS, but I was not in the area at the time I needed water so I went to another store that I never used their water. My mistake of not measuring the salinity on it prior to a water change. I have been struggling to get it back down to 1.025. I have now put at least 2 gallons of distilled water in to try and combat this, still no change. Do I do a water change with my original LFS pre-mix(what % of water would I even do?), keep adding in distilled water until it changes, or what else?

Literally anything helps. Thankfully my fish & corals are not bothered by this, actually looks like my corals prefer this. Let me know!

EDIT : i have a hand held refractormeter

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Reefers!

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that has constantly been at 1.025 specific gravity for my salinity and now I am at 1.030. I usually get my pre-mix from a specific LFS, but I was not in the area at the time I needed water so I went to another store that I never used their water. My mistake of not measuring the salinity on it prior to a water change. I have been struggling to get it back down to 1.025. I have now put at least 2 gallons of distilled water in to try and combat this, still no change. Do I do a water change with my original LFS pre-mix(what % of water would I even do?), keep adding in distilled water until it changes, or what else?

Literally anything helps. Thankfully my fish & corals are not bothered by this, actually looks like my corals prefer this. Let me know!
What are you using to measure salinity and when was it last calibrated?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!

First, make sure your test is correct. Have you properly calibrated whatever you use to test salinity?

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
from my experience, most LFS will not add enough salt to their mixes, usually ready 1.024 or 1.025. Unless they messed up the batch they mixed or enough water evaporated that increases salinity. I’m willing to bet your refracto is out of wack. I also highly recommend a Hanna salinity tester as if adjusted for temp which refractos don’t.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent calibrated it since I purchased, probably another dumb mistake. Any tips on how to do that since I dont know?
Please look into this (Google is your friend) and make sure you understand how to use the tests/instruments you buy

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

OP
OP
jgabbsxx

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you! Thank you!

OP
OP
jgabbsxx

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure recalibrate if you can. Somewhere on here there is a recipe for making a calibration solution at a table salt.

That said, I would not expect 2 gallons of fresh water to move a 40ish gallon system very much.
I wasn’t expecting 2 gallons to do much either in all honesty. I unfortunately can only get to my LFS on the the weekends so any type of water changes of that sort have to wait. Ill look into this!

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you actually have 40 gallons of water you're probably going to need somewhere around 7 or 8 gallons of fresh to get it back.

If it doesn't look like anything suffering I would personally do a couple of water changes where my new water is somewhere around 1.020 over a few days

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you actually have 40 gallons of water you're probably going to need somewhere around 7 or 8 gallons of fresh to get it back.

If it doesn't look like anything suffering I would personally do a couple of water changes where my new water is somewhere around 1.020 over a few days

Really helpful calculator. I would bookmark it as well, can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to use this when I got started.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back