My Salinity Wont Go Down!!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based upon what you have written, have you been removing water and then adding distilled water with an ATO not running? I have a 40 breeder. Swapping out 2 to three gallons should fix your problem. I don't know how much is in your sump.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Method and calculations are also here

OP
OP
jgabbsxx

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 5 gallon water change today with RODI water & my salinity is back to normal. I actually went back to purchase pre-mix back from that same place as I mentioned and it measured at 1.030. Silly mistake of me not to sample that water prior but lesson learned!

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I solved the issue on it, pre-mix was too high when i did my water change. Water changed today and added RODI and back at 1.025.
I would confirm with them they mix that high. I think your readings are off. Salt is expensive and I would be very surprised they are putting in that much more salt than they should.

OP
OP
jgabbsxx

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would confirm with them they mix that high. I think your readings are off. Salt is expensive and I would be very surprised they are putting in that much more salt than they should.
Did confirm with them! Another LFS has his salinity at the same as well which I found odd.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that has constantly been at 1.025 specific gravity for my salinity and now I am at 1.030. I usually get my pre-mix from a specific LFS, but I was not in the area at the time I needed water so I went to another store that I never used their water. My mistake of not measuring the salinity on it prior to a water change. I have been struggling to get it back down to 1.025. I have now put at least 2 gallons of distilled water in to try and combat this, still no change. Do I do a water change with my original LFS pre-mix(what % of water would I even do?), keep adding in distilled water until it changes, or what else?

Literally anything helps. Thankfully my fish & corals are not bothered by this, actually looks like my corals prefer this. Let me know!

EDIT : i have a hand held refractormeter
Your adding the salt so the easiest way to fix this is just add general RODI water without adding any salt, add all your additional food, chemicals etc as usual but just do not add any salt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back