My screen top project

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I would show my recent screen top creation. I had used mesh screen kits in the past, but I had always been envious of the custom screens I've seen using mesh and polycarbonate (?) that you can have made that I think look fabulous. However, I wanted to see if I could do a DIY that was similar. This is what I did.

I have a 72" x 24" tank, so I wanted two screens, one for each half of the tank. I purchased online 4 pieces of clear acrylic that measured 36" long x 3" wide, and 4 pieces that were 18" long by 3" wide. I purchased 0.25" thick acrylic. I then superglued the pieces together to create two borders that measured 36" x 24" (outer dimension). I also bought a small piece of acrylic that I made 8 tabs that I glued to the underside of the acrylic (to support the mesh screen). Lastly, I created my two traditional mesh screens that lay down into the open acrylic onto the tabs. Overall cost was probably $75, with the acrylic being the largest cost (and the thickness of the acrylic will drive cost the most).

The piece is made to sit on top of the tank, but it could be made to sit in the inside of the tank using support tabs (I did not go this route as my overflow box would have been in the way and would have been a lot more work).

My thoughts and observations:

(1) I'm concerned the acrylic will warp over time. I think i could have went with 0.375" thick acrylic or even 0.5" to make the border more sturdy but even then I'm not sure it won't warp over time (just not sure how much it will warp). Also, I used superglue to put the pieces together but Weldon may have been better and cleaner looking.

(2) In retrospect, I wish I had used less wide pieces. Maybe 3" for the back panel because of my overflow box but maybe 2" for the side and front pieces. I noticed I'm getting a little condensation on the lip with the 3" width, so smaller width would give more mesh screen area to breathe.

(3) Of course, my screen does not have any cutouts for cords or feed doors. The screen comes out easily enough for me to feed, and I have no need for cord cutouts since I use vortech pumps (but I could easily take a dremel tool and make cutouts I suspect).

(4) I still find the 36" x 24" length to be cumbersome. Perhaps using a thicker acrylic would make it more rigid. Or, perhaps, going with 3 sections of 24" x 24" might have been better, but I'm not sure how well the middle section would be supported without having a side of glass to rest on and just the front and back glass pane to sit on.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'll update in the future if there's any interest from the reefing community on how it holds up over the next few months!

20171216_142151.jpg

20171216_142212.jpg

20171216_141949.jpg

20171216_141938.jpg

20171215_212857.jpg

20171215_212909.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is not with how thick the acrylic is, but rather the composition of acrylic itself. Acrylic absorbs a good amount of water and will cause bowing. Even if you went with thicker acrylic, it would most likely bow over time.

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I should have used polycarbonate. But now I can do a second DIY! But, just to clarify, the thicker acrylic would be for it to be more rigid for when I have to move it and take it off. I realize the potential for bowing is going to be there and not a function of thickness. I did read on an acrylic site that showed a chart that stated for a 10 degree temperature change to expect a 1/16 of an inch change for a 36" length. However, that probably does not factor in the effect from water absorption. When I did this project, I did it with the idea of being a learning experience and just wanted to share what happens!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this...based on the cost of materials and time to make from my experience so far, the guys who make these hybrid mesh / polycarbonate screen tops are earning every penny! Materials are not cheap and the time does add up...not to mention their finished products look a whole lot nicer!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean

However they make screen kits for rimless tanks. Also I would have used weldon on the acrylic. Another tip if you bond PVC sheets to acrylic then it won't warp.

OP
OP
Daniel Waters

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update in case anyone comes across this thread, the acrylic did begin bowing much more than I could tolerate visually. I did a new variation using 3/8" thick polycarbonate that had a 2" border. It looks very similar to what I posted before. I think it's much nicer than just using just the screen kits, as the polycarbonate border makes it look very sleek and is very rigid for ease in removing and placing back on top. Cost was less than $100. More than the screen kits but less than a custom lid. A decent compromise.

Back