Johnd651

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the discussion.

In reality, overtime I will most likely automate tank functions like ATO and water changes, but I have a 5 month old girl, and by the time the tanks setup, I hope to have a little partner excited to help daddy and learn.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added all the recommendations to my spreadsheet... now comes the next question. How much should I be budgeting for the initial setup and what should I be getting?

The tank will be 36x42x18H with 40B sump. I'll build the stand. I have quotes out for the tank and am looking at $1300 including shipping.

I am not one to get every bell and whistle, but do want quality. Ideas?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added all the recommendations to my spreadsheet... now comes the next question. How much should I be budgeting for the initial setup and what should I be getting?

The tank will be 36x42x18H with 40B sump. I'll build the stand. I have quotes out for the tank and am looking at $1300 including shipping.

I am not one to get every bell and whistle, but do want quality. Ideas?

This really depends. You can get really good quality, used equipment for fraction of cost of new. If you play waiting game, you will find deals and save $. I think people make a mistake of going in way too fast, purchasing everything at once, and then blowing a bunch of money for no reason. Start off slow, look for deals and jump on them when you see them for equipment you need to start up the tank. Once it is up and running, and as you progress in the hobby, then start buying more advanced equipment that you need. All the controllers, dosing equipment, reactors, gfo can wait. You dont need them right away. Spacing purchases out will let you save money and buy perhaps better items then looking to cut costs if you bought everything all at once.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, looking at your tank size 36 l x 42 w x 18 h, really unusual size. I am guessing you have specific reasons for going with that size, but I am thinking you may need more lighting that if it was more normal size of tank (4'x2'x2' as an example of 120G) Just as an example, instead of using 1 Reerbreeders photon V2 unit over a normal 4 foot tank, you would need 2 of those units for your tank size (due to 48" width) This of course adds more cost.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really depends. You can get really good quality, used equipment for fraction of cost of new. If you play waiting game, you will find deals and save $. I think people make a mistake of going in way too fast, purchasing everything at once, and then blowing a bunch of money for no reason. Start off slow, look for deals and jump on them when you see them for equipment you need to start up the tank. Once it is up and running, and as you progress in the hobby, then start buying more advanced equipment that you need. All the controllers, dosing equipment, reactors, gfo can wait. You dont need them right away. Spacing purchases out will let you save money and buy perhaps better items then looking to cut costs if you bought everything all at once.

I don't mind used, but as for local used, I live in no man's land. I did plan on spacing purchases out based on sales. I have the money. It's just making the most of it.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, looking at your tank size 36 l x 42 w x 18 h, really unusual size. I am guessing you have specific reasons for going with that size, but I am thinking you may need more lighting that if it was more normal size of tank (4'x2'x2' as an example of 120G) Just as an example, instead of using 1 Reerbreeders photon V2 unit over a normal 4 foot tank, you would need 2 of those units for your tank size (due to 48" width) This of course adds more cost.

The size is the biggest I can fit in the spot I have.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started pricing stuff out and I feel like its way more then I thought (I mean I know its an expensive hobby but..) I am around the $5k mark including custom tank. Does that seem right?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking glass covers...screen better?
If you are using a protein skimmer (which may be the best invention ever IMO), you can easily use the glass top on the tank. It will get plenty of oxygenated water that way and your wave makers will circulate it. Since you are purchasing a larger tank, you also might want to look into ordering a python for water changes. They are wonderful and you won't have to haul buckets of dirty water to a sink, drain, or your backyard. I used them even when I had smaller aquariums. I'd also make a list with categories on what to purchase first and what to purchase last. Some things can wait -- it might be overwhelming otherwise. I'm anxious to see this build thread along with pictures, of course. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back