My Snowflake Eel Is Missing!!!

Jake_Janoski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone about 5 days ago I purchased a very small snowflake eel maybe 6 to 8 inches and my aquarium has a tight lid with a cover over the overflow to prevent him from escaping. I haven't seen him since day two (the night I installed the cover to prevent escape down the overflow pipe) when he escaped into my sump. I put him back in the main tank that night and placed the cover over the return pipe. Haven't seen him since, i've searched rocks and under rocks and even in the sand bed and sump. Yes I've even looked behind and below my tank, other rooms, shoes, tiny dark areas (lol), everything! Please help me!

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltyhog is spot on, he could literally be anywhere in the room the tank is in. He could be inside a piece of rock or other decoration, no idea how big or well-decorated your tank is. Remember, if (I hope not) he did jump out and he is on the floor his little body will be considerably smaller if he has been out of the tank long enough to dry out.

OP
OP
J

Jake_Janoski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've checked everything he has to be in the rock I have a lot of rock but can't see him in any of the rock so idk how far in he could be. Also overflow is clear just checked. Anything else?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh no. . . . great escape artists and can travel over 25 feet on ground or about 12+ on carpet.
Check under stand, comb carefully through bedding and as suggested, look in sump

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked in the overflow? It's amazing what they can do. If he's not there or on the floor, he has to be hiding in the tank.
Bet money he’s in the sump and you don’t see him. My brother had one that got into chamber 2 of a biocube and back into the tank repeatedly. No idea how he managed that. And you’d be surprised what small holes they can get into in rockwork. They like to pop out and be aggressive little turds when you feed them or at night. If you have fish just go missing he’s likely still around.

OP
OP
J

Jake_Janoski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dunno if it's him but in my large tank (3 1/2 feet off the ground) one of my Chromis magically disappeared but I doubt it was him.

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine escaped twice. The first time he was in the sump ( took us over a week to find him) and the second time he was in the overflow. He was very well hidden. I thought my cats had eaten him the first time and called them fish murderers. Needless to say I had to apologize to them!.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys still no eel PLease Help
Man I’d bet money he’s either in your sump or in a rock. They can fit basically anywhere their head fits and you wouldn’t see him. Also possible if you have a good cuc he could have died and been recycled into the tank already but I’d say he’s hiding.

OP
OP
J

Jake_Janoski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well I have very few clean up crew except for a few snails right now. Also my Ammonia is near perfect so he can't be dead. Ugh I'm starting to not like this eel.

WRXTerror

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snowflake that would get out of the tank all the time. Just threw him back in when I found him. Went away for a week and came home and he ate every lionfish in my tank, 5 of them! Just skeletons and him in the tank. I'll never own another snowflake.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back