My SPS reef resurrection

• Thread starter Skippyreef
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Skippyreef

View Badges
Well being new here I guess I will post a little history about my current set up

Tank 270 gallon
Sump 112 gallon
Lights: 2-400 watt Ushios and 6 80 watt T5
Ballast PFO m59 and ice caps
Skimmer H&S A-200 (twin Eheims)
Reactor Schuran Jet Stream 1
Ozone generator (25mg/hr)
Tunze 6100 (2)
Tunze Wave Box
Red Dragon 6.5m3 return pump

I have recently made over the reef and took out the reef ceramics in favor of natural filtration. Using the ceramic rock my Nitrate was over 100 and I was losing SPS corals. Since removing that product the tank has done a 180 and things are growing well and coloring back up.

before
Picture008-2.jpg

after
Picture2014.jpg

divecj5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet reef Skippyreef. As I'm sure you do, I definitely like how open and BIG the tank looks without the ceramics in there. I would love to see some more closeups of the corals and the anthias you have in there.

OP
OP
S

Skippyreef

View Badges
Ok LOL
mandoman
reefCeramicvideo004.jpg

pink milli with yellow tips (cultured and growing like nuts now)

Picture2017.jpg

the lighting rack (angled aluminum)

Picture2009.jpg

quad colored humulis

Picture009-1.jpg

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome tank!!! i think you need some zoas in there :D

OP
OP
S

Skippyreef

View Badges
Thanks guys :)

I am still trying to figure out which SPS to keep in the tank LOL. I sold off some stuff to make room for some different stuff too :) All in all though things have turned the corner. Once the ceramic rock came out the nitrates dropped like a rock. They are no longer detectable in the aquarium either. I was using the ZEO stuff and stopped that when I noted some growth issues and STN starting. I lost in the neighborhod of a few 1000 between the corals I lost and the ceramics that now reside in a garbage can in my garage. My friend had the same thing happen using these and so have other people I have talked to on line. Some are just now seeing the Nitrate spikes in there tanks.

I am going to hopefully be getting more stuff at the end of the month to finish this off and what I dont end up keeping I am putting in the frag system attached to the tank for grow out and fragging. None of the stuff is ugly at all its just some of it does not work once I get it LOL. It is sort of nice though to have a collection of corals to choose from when aquascaping your reef LOL.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the rock work...

yeah, stay away from the zeo stuff, not worth it IMO. i know some people trying to do it, but by only using half of the stuff, and no reactor...they have nitrates out the wazoo.

OP
OP
S

Skippyreef

View Badges
The rock is attached (well the base of the islands) to small egg crates (office storage) and then stacek on top. This increases the hiding area for fish as well as flow thouigh the tank. It also allowed me to do this with about 150 pounds of fiji premium. There are a few more areas I need to fill in here and there but I like the open look.

Cris5215

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a new frag I bought 2 days ago can some tell me if is dying plz
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1368687893.657220.jpg
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1368687936.191513.jpg

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. New scape definitely make it look bigger. Will look awesome once everything starts growing out.

Zack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the clearest pic but it does look like tissue necrosis, could be rtn or stn, sincr you have had it only two days im gonna guess RTN.

Back