My stand is done! Almost! (pic heavy)

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a year I've finally hit a milestone. The main manufacturing of my stand is done. Unfortunately when my fab shop dropped it off they forgot the hinge pins and mounting hardware for the lighting support. Any thought or comments are appreciated. It's all steel tubing powder-coated shot with a high gloss white.

The I designed a lighting frame that is hinged so it can be tilted back for easy access from the top. I welded flanges to support my Aquatic Life DX18 dimmable hybrid and I'll have straps on the top to prevent it from falling out when in full tilt. I'm sure I'll figure out something for the 3 A360x's as well. I also cut out a small portion to accommodate the power and 0-10v cables. The area cut is on the outside of the hinges so it shouldn't compromise the integrity. The whole setup is way overbuilt and very beefy.

Next I'm going to seal it with a 2 component aerosol clear coat. When I went to reef-a-palooza last year I saw a few people that had steel powder-coated stands but they didn't seem to understand how porous the paint is and it's extremely susceptible to rust, even shot with high gloss. It' won't become structurally challenged but it'll look super ugly after a year. My stand will be skinned with white laminated foam-core panel that will have recessed magnets. The bottom of the stand and lighting rig will all be covered. The goal is that the panel will just span onto the stand and frame providing for easy access.

Screenshot (40).png

Stand Botom Raw 1.jpg
Stant Top Raw 1.jpg
Light Frame And Support Raw 2.jpg
Light Frame And Support Raw 1.jpg
Light Frame 2 Raw.jpg
Light Frame 1 Raw.jpg
Stant Table Top Raw 1.jpg
Stant Table Top Raw Against Tank.jpg
Stand Wrapped 1.jpg
Stand Unwrapped 2.jpg
Stand Unwrapped 3.jpg
Light Frame Support Unwrapped.jpg
Light Frame 1.jpg
Stand with Sump 1.jpg
Light Frame Support Wrapped.jpg Stand Botom.jpg Stand Inside on Side.jpg Stand Unwrapped 1.jpg Stand Wrapped 2.jpg Stant Table Top Raw 2.jpg Stant Table Top.jpg

Shaveen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you got some nice fabrication skills there! The finishing looks great.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you got some nice fabrication skills there! The finishing looks great.

Thanks but I wish I could take credit. I can built with a lot of materials but welding is not in my wheelhouse. I've got a fabricator that built this for me. With the help from this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/first-tank-in-10-years-stand-build-suggestions.566332/page-2 and advice from @JoshH I was able to design something hopefully super functional and easy to maintain.

Looks great. Personally would have caped the tube steel. Power coat can't get all the way in and it will rust eventually.

I'll be hitting those parts heavy with the clear cots to protect the inside. None of the metal will be visible but all will be clear coated in an attempt to mitigate oxidization. Nothing is full proof and I'm sure something will eventually happen to the paint. Thanks!

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light fixture is larger than the tank so in order to center it over the tank I created 1" spacers to offset the light frame. Here's a pic and some of the light frame assembled with the DX18 fixture and 3 Kessil A360X's.

Spacers.jpg

Light Frame Tilt.jpg

Light Frame Assembled 1.jpg

Light Frame Assembled 2.jpg

Light Frame Assembled With Fixture.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back