OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the progress today was not good. :sad: Just an FYI guys I was told today that most of your major aquarium glass companies (Aqueon, Marineland and Tetra) are now only making 55 Gals out of all tempered glass including all sides. I found that out very quickly today while trying to drill my 55. I have drilled many glass aquariums before, maybe like 30 times, so this wasn't my first rodeo. So now I have to decide how to proceed with my build because 55 doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Unless I want to use hang on the back overflows and returns. Which I don't! Here's todays result.
IMG_1147.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1149.jpg

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the progress today was not good. :sad: Just an FYI guys I was told today that most of your major aquarium glass companies (Aqueon, Marineland and Tetra) are now only making 55 Gals out of all tempered glass including all sides. I found that out very quickly today while trying to drill my 55. I have drilled many glass aquariums before, maybe like 30 times, so this wasn't my first rodeo. So now I have to decide how to proceed with my build because 55 doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Unless I want to use hang on the back overflows and returns. Which I don't! Here's todays result. IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1148.jpg IMG_1149.jpg
And i thought i was having a bad day! Man that stinks sorry for your misfortune, Maybe something better was in the cards for your tank upgrade...
Bill

Volitans67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the progress today was not good. :sad: Just an FYI guys I was told today that most of your major aquarium glass companies (Aqueon, Marineland and Tetra) are now only making 55 Gals out of all tempered glass including all sides. I found that out very quickly today while trying to drill my 55. I have drilled many glass aquariums before, maybe like 30 times, so this wasn't my first rodeo. So now I have to decide how to proceed with my build because 55 doesn't seem to be an option anymore. Unless I want to use hang on the back overflows and returns. Which I don't! Here's todays result. IMG_1147.jpg IMG_1148.jpg IMG_1149.jpg

What a bummer, sorry to see it Bob! I'm in Hermitage as well, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Ok now I have decided to go with a 75 gallon because they can be drilled. But I have a question. I'm putting this tank up stairs in the bonus room. House was built 12 years ago. Do I need to be concerned about weight with a 75 gallon? Cause I have no way of knowing which way the floor joist are running. I believe they are running vertical to the wall I plan on putting tank on. The stand I built is 62" x 25" so it should spread it over the area. I have verified that floor joist are 2 X 10's used. I'm pretty sure total weight will end up around 950-1000 lbs in set up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I picked up a 75 gallon acrylic this evening, so time to get resumed on this build. I have to finish the stand and start putting things together. I have everything here at the house now, except my ATS that won't be shipped until 9/9/13. So I should have it up and running way before that. Humm went from a 40 gal to 55 gal to 75 gal before it even up. Funny how that works huh?

dwilliams87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be very happy with that tank. I wish I would have thought about it and I would have told you to swing by my place while you were down. I only live about 5 miles from them. Actually 5 miles towards your way.

OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking close at this tank in the sun light, might not sure it is acrylic. Looks and is built more like a glass tank. I mean I don't care if it is glass. But It's kind of weird. I looked on Glass cages web site and They don't list a tank these dimensions in Glass. Anyway it's no big deal. It's a Reef ready tank, that's all I care about. But I think I'll redo the silicone in the corners. So one more extra day :( Would have been great to stop by your place Daniel, maybe next time.

OP
OP
FishNFrags

FishNFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody around today that can help me move the stand up stairs? I'm going to get a dolly but will still need help.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back