My tank build/house remodel thread!

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my house remodel/tank build, my wife and I made the call to buy a fixer upper and we found the right house last fall. We finally closed on March 21st and began demolition the next weekend, we have chosen a room to house a new tank and will be building the room to fit all my aquarium goods and my wife's Alabama football stuff. So far the fish room has only gotten some drywall and compound, we are working on the kitchen and den first then we will jump into the fish room. So far this is where we are.

Fish/football room drywall.....this room has a 11' ceiling and I don't like heights!
20160331_203136.jpg

The living room, the floor was painted with Kilz so we knew that the floor underneath would be fairly bad but once I hit the floor with a sander.....oh my was it bad....

2656.jpg

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once we got the old wood up, we uncovered some damage to the sub-flooring. I cut out all the damaged wood and replaced it with 3/4" plywood and reinforced some of the joists with new 2'x10"s.

20160409_133618.jpg

20160409_133637.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Signing up to follow this one, both the house and tank! And way to put the whole family to work!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, looks like the sub-floor had water damage, good thing you found that and repaired it... This should be a great build!

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! I love remodels, especially the demo parts.

Looks like you have lots of good help there!

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out if you have a lot more flooring to lay. It makes a world of difference.

Wow, that is genius!! I'm a remodeling contractor by trade but I don't do a whole lot of raw hardwood jobs....but I might have to check into the cost of that roller system, thanks for the vid.

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, looks like the sub-floor had water damage, good thing you found that and repaired it... This should be a great build!

Yea, the previous owner let the commode leak for a long time....I still have to pull a floor joist, it is completely rotted.

Following along! I love remodels, especially the demo parts.
Looks like you have lots of good help there!

Yea demo is the fun part, we've started on the kitchen so I'll have pics of that posted next weekend. The family has been a lot of help, we are enjoying every moment.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding, makes my sub floor damage pale by comparison. I don't thing I've ever seen sub floor laid at 45 degrees, is that a post-modern era thing? Can't say I enjoy the demolition part but it is part of the job. Once you're past that the real remodel begins.

Dave

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

Excited for you guys.

I really think the club would would enjoy a meeting or two at the new place, for beers and volunteer day! (Work first of course [emoji6])

OP
OP
Rob.D

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding, makes my sub floor damage pale by comparison. I don't thing I've ever seen sub floor laid at 45 degrees, is that a post-modern era thing? Can't say I enjoy the demolition part but it is part of the job. Once you're past that the real remodel begins.

Dave

Yea pre-70's homes had 3/4"x6"s for subflooring

Following!

Excited for you guys.

I really think the club would would enjoy a meeting or two at the new place, for beers and volunteer day! (Work first of course [emoji6])

Thanks dude, I will need a few strong guys in a few weeks...there is a metal carport at the driveway and I need to move it to the side of the house.....how's your back and shoulders :D

Last edited:

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea pre-70's homes had 3/4"x6"s for subflooring

Thanks dude, I will need a few strong guys in a few weeks...there is a metal carport at the driveway and I need to move it to the side of the house.....how's your back and shoulders :D
We'll knock it out in numbers. [emoji3]

Chriscrna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following! You've been busy. Let's have a work day over there for May's meeting.

BTW, who's the hot chick on the ladder in that first pic? [emoji7]

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Rob you've been busy! Congrats on the new house and eventual new tank! Looks like you've got a lot of great help on the house.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back