My Tank Is Dying ?

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please Help! I am sorry to admit that I neglected my tank for a month due to work. I just feed the fish every other day and that’s it!
today I find that all my water turned milky white!!
I haven’t measured the parameters as I am having an anxiety attack knowing that BSC of corporate America made me disregard my life.

I have sacrificed my Zoas as I have seahorses and freaking apstasia are taking over .

I did a 50% water change added bacteria. What should I do? water change?
2CCE49B2-B2BC-4A1A-8A62-DA0567208BAC.jpeg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level looks low... how is salinity level? May need to top off with RODI. Other than that, a water change and filter carbon wouldn't hurt. And maybe kill off the aiptasia with kalk paste, super glue or inject them with lemon juice.

Upvote 0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We really need a full set of water parameters to see what’s going on, but a water change looks like it might help. If you do a large one just make sure the temperature of the new water is the same, salinity etc.

We also need details of the system, including filtration etc that would all help.

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a bacterial bloom. A water change isn’t going to help it (though I would run a full battery of tests to rule anything else out, double check there is nothing dead and decaying that could be causing the cloudiness). Adding the bacteria didn’t help. You need to make sure you have a skimmer or airstone running as the bacteria in the water can use up all the dissolved oxygen and asphyxiate your fish, otherwise it’s harmless. It should go away on its own within a week or two (adding a UV sterilizer can speed up the process). I would wait to deal with the aiptasia until your water is back to normal.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never add cycling bac to a cycled tank, because it doesn't do anything. It prevents taking helpful action and the bacteria compete for oxygen and increase suspended bioloading which is opposite of what the reef needs.

This above will fix your tank, it's fifty pages of fix. Study it for two hours, then run it. Once you are familiar with rip cleaning, do this below to fix aiptasia.

You could buy a simple uv sterilizer and it may work, but we didn't do that for fifty pages because dead bacteria will be sinked into a system already loaded up, notice how there's only perfectly clean tanks in the after pics? That's the benefit of the rip clean.

Your sandbed is full of waste, time to fix that and the reef will mature nicely. Don't take reef surgery lightly, study the examples well then execute the move without hesitation rinsed exactly as everyone did there successfully.

Example from page one, Shadow_k had one similar to your challenge:
rr1.jpg

A few hours later after rip clean
r3.jpeg.jpg

One month later
CB8C650B-3EEE-46FA-97FA-B09DB6F6F049.jpeg.jpg

Look at how clean his sandbed cross section is now

There is no doser, parameter adjustment or set of animals that can do this shocking turnaround. Reef tank surgery did it for years all in one thread. If you follow the rules exactly, your tank will follow suit

A simple uv sterilizer is 98% likely to clear up the water but it doesn't do anything for the loaded sandbed. That's a green hair algae pump and cyano pump later on, if left unaddressed. The sandbed waste is kicked back up in the tank during water changes but when clean will not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Coralcitos

Coralcitos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please Help! I am sorry to admit that I neglected my tank for a month due to work. I just feed the fish every other day and that’s it!
today I find that all my water turned milky white!!
I haven’t measured the parameters as I am having an anxiety attack knowing that BSC of corporate America made me disregard my life.

I have sacrificed my Zoas as I have seahorses and freaking apstasia are taking over .

I did a 50% water change added bacteria. What should I do? water change?
2CCE49B2-B2BC-4A1A-8A62-DA0567208BAC.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    32.9 MB
Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back