My tank just crashed!

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so bummed out! Thanks to an Ink Bird heater controller that didn’t shut off the heater my tank was at 97F when I got home from work 2 days ago and fried 90% of my corals! Don’t know why it didn’t shut down heater, probes where in the water, 2 temp setting where set at 78.0 and 78.5 temp on readout read 97.1, so want to scream right now! I lost 3 hammers orange, neon, and dual green and blue, purple tip frogspawn, my favorite red Goni, red blue blasto, toadstool, green Goni, and my gsp an zoas closed and have not opened in 2 days. Still have all the fish and was able to save my dragon soul torch and 7 rbt but the rest are a skeleton graveyard! I guess what doesn’t kill yah just make you stronger an I’m not beat yet! So with that said my rant is now over! I need advice on a heater controller that works? can’t afford an apex yet after just losing a ton of cash on my corals but could use any and all advice.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest on purchasing a older apex classic you can get them cheap! I’m sorry to hear about your losses glad your not giving up! Hang in there

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man sorry for all those corals.
Can be avoided by using eheim Jaeger heaters connected to the 8nkbird.
Just set the eheims 2 degrees above setpoint, 80 ish in your case, when the inkbird fails, the heaters shut off at 80 via their bimetallic sensors.
Sorry again.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about all the losses. I recently had a heater failure (failed off) and it droppedy tank temp to 66 before I caught it. Here's what I do now:

I need about 300 w to heat my tank properly. I run 2 200W heaters on an Inkbird (you may wish to look at other options of you don't trust them anymore). Both heaters have their own thermostat set at 80, while the Inkbird is set at 78. Thus:

If either heater fails "on" the Inkbird should catch it. Even if it doesn't, a single failed heater isn't capable of overhearing my tank.

If the Inkbird fails "on" like yours did, the heaters shut off at 80, only a little high.

If either heater fails off, the other can keep the temp drop from being too dramatic prior to the Inkbird alarming. (I have another 200w heater sitting as a backup)

The only real thing I'm not protected against is the Inkbird failing off. I've thought about putting the backup heater in the sump (not connected to the Inkbird) and set it at 74 or so, to guard in this scenario.

Not sure if that helps, but it's my approach!

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but ink bird is not good to say to me right now but thanks with the 2 Smaller heater idea, my lfs only had 300 watt heaters when mine quit so hind site is 2020

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I only trust inkbirds on titanium units which has its own probe as in my case. Fortunately, I also have a chiller unit and if this would happen, the chiller would help me out

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights needed slow re ramp here

coral bleach protection / drop intensity for two weeks

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but ink bird is not good to say to me right now but thanks with the 2 Smaller heater idea, my lfs only had 300 watt heaters when mine quit so hind site is 2020

Sorry this happened. I would agree and second using multiple smaller heaters for redundancy. Ranco would be a option.

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man sorry for all those corals.
Can be avoided by using eheim Jaeger heaters connected to the 8nkbird.
Just set the eheims 2 degrees above setpoint, 80 ish in your case, when the inkbird fails, the heaters shut off at 80 via their bimetallic sensors.
Sorry again.
Now that I look my jagger was set about 82 ish so What The @#$&@* (sorry better now) that would mean they both failed on. Is that even possible?
stupid question it did man 2020 has been a real letdown lol

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so bummed out! Thanks to an Ink Bird heater controller that didn’t shut off the heater my tank was at 97F when I got home from work 2 days ago and fried 90% of my corals! Don’t know why it didn’t shut down heater, probes where in the water, 2 temp setting where set at 78.0 and 78.5 temp on readout read 97.1, so want to scream right now! I lost 3 hammers orange, neon, and dual green and blue, purple tip frogspawn, my favorite red Goni, red blue blasto, toadstool, green Goni, and my gsp an zoas closed and have not opened in 2 days. Still have all the fish and was able to save my dragon soul torch and 7 rbt but the rest are a skeleton graveyard! I guess what doesn’t kill yah just make you stronger an I’m not beat yet! So with that said my rant is now over! I need advice on a heater controller that works? can’t afford an apex yet after just losing a ton of cash on my corals but could use any and all advice.
Did your heater AND ink bird fail? Or was your heater thermostat not set to a reasonable level? Not being critical, just curious. FYI I have an Apex and it failed on me today. Ran my autofeeder way too much, turned off my heaters and skimmer, and generally self destructing. I stumbled on this thread just as I was considering grabbing an ink bird to back up my heaters while I wait on Neptune support to sort out my issues.

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several smaller crashes I finally changed my way of thinking. I used to skimp on equipment so I could buy corals. Three grand worth of lost corals later my whole attitude is different. Now I concentrate on quality equipment, redundancy and safe guards before anything. My apex has caught 2 heater failures! My suggestion is pick up an apex classic. You can get one for a couple hundred. If it saves your tank once, it pays for itself.

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your heater AND ink bird fail? Or was your heater thermostat not set to a reasonable level? Not being critical, just curious. FYI I have an Apex and it failed on me today. Ran my autofeeder way too much, turned off my heaters and skimmer, and generally self destructing. I stumbled on this thread just as I was considering grabbing an ink bird to back up my heaters while I wait on Neptune support to sort out my issues.
It is looking like they both did the heater was set under 97 degrees which my tank was at really surprised the fish are ok

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I look my jagger was set about 82 ish so What The @#$&@* (sorry better now) that would mean they both failed on. Is that even possible?
Not likely, except the eheims have a calibration ring that can be confused for the temp setting.
It should be tested for on/off before attaching to inkbird or other.
The eheims use a bimetallic switch vs electronic.
Hot tubs use the same bimetallic tech for hot water safety.
Sorry again.

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several smaller crashes I finally changed my way of thinking. I used to skimp on equipment so I could buy corals. Three grand worth of lost corals later my whole attitude is different. Now I concentrate on quality equipment, redundancy and safe guards before anything. My apex has caught 2 heater failures! My suggestion is pick up an apex classic. You can get one for a couple hundred. If it saves your tank once, it pays for itself.
Was looking into that but wanted to get the newest one but didn’t want to pull the trigger one $800 buck. Wish I would have now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back