My tank just crashed!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if you want to set 2 different temperatures. Or, you could plug 2 heaters into a singe stage with an outlet split (assuming combined load of both heaters is within the maximum wattage limit of the device) but both would be on and off at the same time
Ok, yes would want 2 diff temps. Thanks for the explanation.

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking into that but wanted to get the newest one but didn’t want to pull the trigger one $800 buck. Wish I would have now.
I can definitely understand the sticker shock. However, I ran an APEX classic for 2 years and it works great. It just doesn't have the fancy silver box. Another option is the EL at 500 bucks. I am only pushing the APEX because it works. Its that simple. When up you lose enough coral that 500 dollar investment isn't going to look so bad.

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to buy an apex classic just can’t find one use that’s not on a bidding war on eBay. The EL is kind of cool but if you want to add salinity probe the add on price takes you over the 799 for the whole apex with the 4 probes. So it’s pay now or pay more later with apex. I defiantly know they work there aren’t many used ones for sale lol

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep checking the Marketplace, I seen some posted recently. I have a classic set to disable the heater outlet if it gets past 82 and send notification.

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a plus note just picked up a used vortex mp10 QD for 100 at LFS only 6 months old:) .......I know I should have put it in the apex jar but couldn’t pass it up for a quite drive.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 600 watt BRS titanium heater controlled by a Bayite BC211. My Apex acts as a safety and controls the power supply if the temp gets too high. No backup heater now that I sold my Teco chiller. If my heater fails I'll swap out the heater in my mixing station.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing this over 20 years. I never run a heater. You can never trust them.

Exactly. Heaters AND probes if not the controller itself will fail. It's not if but when. I JUST started using heaters for the first time this year(trying this consistency stuff which I never did or needed before) but my solution is using heaters too small for the application. Mine can run all day. It's powerful enough to get it to about 82, I set it at 79.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything fails at one point.
Pistondog got it right on point IMO in suggesting the two, individual control points, using a digital thermometer in the heater and if either heater fails in the on position, the Inkbird takes control and turns them off and on to maintain set temp. The failure in the heaters may be noticed as the Inkbird would be turning on and off, where in the past, it was always on.

Great redundancy. Sorry for the loss.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry that your tank crashed - that really stinks - but hopefully people will learn the lesson here.

Heater Facts:
1. When Heaters Fail, they almost always fail on.
2. Failing On is way worse than failing off - because a tank is typically less than 10 degrees warmer than ambient. A tank dropping to 74 degrees over 12 hours because your heater failed off and your house is 68 is way better than having your tank rise to 90 over the course of 3 hours because a heater failed on.
3. Both heater thermostats and relays have a limited number of switches. They don't fail by "working hard" - they fail by turning on and off. Narrow temp ranges or bigger heaters means more switching, and quicker failure.

Lessons:

Having a heater that has to run 100% of the time to keep your tank where you want it is not a bad thing - it is the best possible case.

Having extra heating capacity does not lessen risk - it increases it. Having more capacity than you need is dangerous. Have only the heaters you need in the tank. Do not put an extra one in "for redundancy".

Run monitoring. Set your heater controller to run, say 78-79, and set up a monitor so that at 77 or 80 you get a text message.

Keep a spare heater in the closet - NOT IN THE TANK.

97? How big of a tank and how much heater did you have?

That is true but things always seem to happen the way you aren't expecting. My heater failed off and my tank got down to around 60 and killed everything. Happened several years ago over Thanksgiving. Went out of town and it was almost 90 degrees so of course had the a/c on. Fast forward 4 days when we get back and it is in the 20's.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true but things always seem to happen the way you aren't expecting. My heater failed off and my tank got down to around 60 and killed everything. Happened several years ago over Thanksgiving. Went out of town and it was almost 90 degrees so of course had the a/c on. Fast forward 4 days when we get back and it is in the 20's.
I assume the heat wasn't on in the house and the house for down into the 50s/60s?

There isn't really a heater setup that can handle 50 degree ambient and not be an enormous risk in normal day usage. Oversized heaters fail much faster because of the increased switching.

(Also, a thermostat that controls both heating and cooling simultaneously and doesn't need to be switched over is a good investment)

OP
OP
Hop2jr

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just pulled the trigger on full apex Neptune at 10% off for Black Friday and 6 months no interest with pay pal my girl said get it so we can rebuild the tank with better piece of mind that this will not happen again. Coming Wednesday can’t wait to set it up!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back