My tank, still a work in progress.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt Babies, now I am fan of yours. ;)
That chain, being plastic moves to much and it is to new. The fish are afraid of it.

If you put some string in there with a weight on the bottom they may hold it.
I used to raise the babies like that, but I can't find the picture.

Here are horses that I collected in my reef transfering eggs to the male. This was many years ago.

Terrp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. I simply overfeed with the pumps off for about 20 to 40 minutes. They all pick up what they want and then I vacuum with an enhiem power vac and I have a clean up crew - peppermint shrimp and a bella goby. The bella actually makes the vacuuming almost un-needed. Don't let the scale fool you here that's a 6 to 7 inch sand sifter.

Bellas New.JPG

I also keep the tank stocked with copepods, amphipods and ghost shrimp occasionally for fun, all around nutrition and so that can participate in natural all day hunting. They certainly don't need those things because they eat enough at the 2 per day feedings. There are times like now when I'm busy they don't get the shrimp or the amphipod population starts to dwindle.
Love the tank! For your feeding, do you use broadcast feeding for the whole tank and the Seahorses just go after what they want (meaning you don't use a feeding station or direct feed the ponies by turkey baster)? If so, did you need to train them to eat while the food is floating/sinking in the water or once it hits the sand?

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank! For your feeding, do you use broadcast feeding for the whole tank and the Seahorses just go after what they want (meaning you don't use a feeding station or direct feed the ponies by turkey baster)? If so, did you need to train them to eat while the food is floating/sinking in the water or once it hits the sand?
I broad cast only in the front sandy area for ease of cleaning. I don't train them at all. I love the idea of a feeder but then you have all the competition. I turn off the tanks before I feed so the mysis falls to the sand and on the front of the rocks. They search it out there. While there is a cluster on the left tower a few of the shyer ones feed middle and right.

The angels zoom all over picking just the right mysis and spitting out mysis not to their liking. Since they feed all day on algae and copepods and the occasional sponge bite they aren't as aggressive at feeding time.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went thru your entire thread again. It appears we have parallel paths running so I am curious as to your tank size, skimmer, return flow rate and tank circulation. I originally was going to do a 180 split tank but think I will be running into some structural issues. So thinking of downsizing to a 120 peaceful tank with some macros, softies, and a couple of other SAFE corals.
I have about 5x per hour on the flow for the main return pump. There is also additional Jabaeo RW10 that pushes water through my race way. I have a Magnus curve 7 for a skimmer and a chaeto reactor. I have 100 + pounds of coral rock that was dead rock. I have an oversized chiller and keep it at 73 degrees. I also normally run a felt filter sock but sometimes switch to a micron poly sock when expecting babies. Then in the sump/refugium I have about 3 gallons of macro algae down there more chaeto and some gracilaria. I have Kessil Blue tuna lights.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 5x per hour on the flow for the main return pump. There is also additional Jabaeo RW10 that pushes water through my race way. I have a Magnus curve 7 for a skimmer and a chaeto reactor. I have 100 + pounds of coral rock that was dead rock. I have an oversized chiller and keep it at 73 degrees. I also normally run a felt filter sock but sometimes switch to a micron poly sock when expecting babies. Then in the sump/refugium I have about 3 gallons of macro algae down there more chaeto and some gracilaria. I have Kessil Blue tuna lights.
Thanks for the info

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info
I was actually surprised with turnover. I thought it would be more cause i bought this tank and equipment used from a reefer. I don't know that I'd up the flow as they already show a preference for the areas with lower flow. Of course the jabaeo pushes water in that outside area so not sure what that would be if it was over flow turnover flow. I have though about getting a gyre for the silt. The sand stays clean with my larger sandsifter for the most part. But the rock collects fines.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt Babies, now I am fan of yours. ;)
That chain, being plastic moves to much and it is to new. The fish are afraid of it.

If you put some string in there with a weight on the bottom they may hold it.
I used to raise the babies like that, but I can't find the picture.

Here are horses that I collected in my reef transfering eggs to the male. This was many years ago.

The chain is zip tied to a rock. It doesn't move that much. But I have too many spots for the ambush hunters to get into natural positions. I have some low ledges on the rocks (with pvc under) they love to lay sidewards under those rocks. I think its mainly because their natural foods amphipods and shrimp would be there. Since I have those things in the tank they are always on the hunt.

Doesn't matter how much easy to eat big frozen mysis I put in the tank. They will spend the day hunting a 1/4 inch amphipod.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back