My toadstool has a hole

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1384970984.081014.jpg

I noticed today that my toadstool has a hole in it. It has excellent polyp extension and looks healthy otherwise. No soft tissue and doesn't stink. I dipped it in lugols solution as a precaution. Anybody else seen this?

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hole in my Green polyp toadstool. Some have tol me it could be water parameters or depending on the size it can be trying to drop part of itself due to the weight pulling it down in certin direction

reefjunkie77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your flow in the tank? In my experience,when toadstools usually get holes in their crowns, it usually results from a build up of too much sediment that settles in one place.This starts to block the light and eventually cause damage by burning the coral. Try re-positioning the flow in your tank so that the polyps of the leather coral are flowing within the current,this can help keep the sediment in the water column and help prevent it from settling and causing more damage.As these corals grow larger, it becomes more important to increase the flow as well. I have had this happen to me with 12" green polyped toadstool that I grew from a 2" frag. I do agree with The lugols dip as it will help to prevent the spread of the recession, but if you don't re-position the low, the recession will likely continue. Don't worry about the hole because if you keep up with your water quality after the flow issue is settled, it will heal in time. If it does not heal, then you could easily just frag the coral by cutting off a healthy area of the crown, and attaching it to a frag plug with fishing line.Good Luck and don't give up!

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good advice, thanks. I have been trying increase flow but it's a delicate balance. The Lps are picky but I'll work on it.

ahart16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did this same thing, and it turned out to be the start of a split, to me it looks like it may be getting ready to make a baby toadstool,

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting question! Same here. But the crazy thing I I just made 2 frags off of mine a month ago. Flow is awesome! But I want it just to fill in and be huge where it is! Lol. No babies yet!
Looks like it has made up its mind.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same thing and i just cut around the holes and have now small once :) it seem fine again ;)

saulofaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Wow! I am glad there is a positive outcome out of this scenario!!!!!
My toadstoll is by far my favorite coral and have it for the past 3 years. I freeked when I saw the whole on it and imagine it was a parasite!
It will be intersintg to see how it splits as I haven't seen on how they propagate on the wild.

IMG_20220315_103924.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back