My tree coral has moved itself

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brett S
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2016
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
1,353
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just thought this was kind of interesting. Over time my tree coral has moved itself a good 6 inches from where I originally placed it in the tank. It was originally on the frag disk circled in red in the picture below:

02C092AD-1F2D-41A2-BFE0-EC8ABD3B3505.jpeg


But it has completely moved off of that disk and is now about 6” away from it.

The bubble coral has probably tripled in size since I got it and I suspect that the tree was starting to get irritated by the bubble coral, so it decided to pack up and move away.

296511A8-6A22-4E9C-8A7E-35B145A8D9BE.jpeg


This has just fascinated me because I didn’t realize that soft corals had the ability to move themselves like that.
 
Interesting. I've heard of corals walking but never seen an example like this. Thanks for sharing!
 
That is very interesting. Have you noticed any babies left behind? Sort of how mushrooms leave some when they move?
 
I haven’t noticed any. It appears to have just cleanly moved itself (not quickly though... it was done over a period of several months)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new