" MY WHITE SAND METHOD "

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have that tool and never use it, so this is going to be a beautiful thing! (cheesy pun for beautiful sand in the near future very much intended)

I hate the look of dirty sand.

It does require daily maintenance from here on out though to achieve the look though eh?

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll make a video after work today...i know how to upload one on fb but not on here...so if someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it thanx

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@blusop +1 I see you have some acans on your sandbed, I'm always worried about agitating them and would love to see your technique.
I'll show you in the video. ..sometimes i do get sand on them but they never get bothered by it

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ksc
It's easy to see why keepers of successful hands off beds aren't for rinsing. Accumulation times can be offset in various ways to make it never required.

But in response to how the masses reef, how they move tanks or need algae fixing, the dynamic of the full bed rinse has been shown crucial. If I had a large tank it would be designed along with bioloading to not be high maintenance, my big tank wouldn't be like the masses.

We wanted to show that rinsing isn't for every tank, it's just an available dynamic.

OTS may or may not express across tanks agreed and it's more pronounced in old nanos. Volume helps in the assessment

Prior sandbed approach was about isolating waste in the bed from the water, people are just experimenting with no waste that's all. Wanted to make sure the method didn't seem like a bandwagon that'd be terrible. Legitimacy or nothing

what's your take on case by case rinsing

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ksc
It's easy to see why keepers of successful hands off beds aren't for rinsing. Accumulation times can be offset in various ways to make it never required.

But in response to how the masses reef, how they move tanks or need algae fixing, the dynamic of the full bed rinse has been shown crucial. If I had a large tank it would be designed along with bioloading to not be high maintenance, my big tank wouldn't be like the masses.

We wanted to show that rinsing isn't for every tank, it's just an available dynamic.

OTS may or may not express across tanks agreed and it's more pronounced in old nanos. Volume helps in the assessment

Prior sandbed approach was about isolating waste in the bed from the water, people are just experimenting with no waste that's all. Wanted to make sure the method didn't seem like a bandwagon that'd be terrible. Legitimacy or nothing

what's your take on case by case rinsing
I saw a guy on here mention the rinsing of his sand ....is that the method you are talking about ???

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that people are finally cleaning up their nasty sandbeds! Although, I think your method is sound and works great for you, for me, I just siphon the sandbed during water changes. I do portions though, just like you. Typically I do half the sandbed one week, then the other half the next week. I do it this way just in case there are toxins. By siphoning, i'm sucking up any toxins and then replenishing with fresh water, because I don't run chemi-pure or carbon. So far, no ill effects doing it this way.
This is how i did my 29, works great

Dollfarm2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always talked about this in the fb groups because i get so many questions and compliments on my sand bed ....well here's my method....note: I've never tried this on a tank older than 3 years !!!! I'm well aware of the problems that can occur on older tanks...this is a "DAILY" method i use to keep a good look sand bed and to release toxins "BEFORE" they build up....a Preventive Measure .
You need to section your tank off in 3 stages....Start in stage "1" stirring your sand..."ONLY STAGE 1" for 7 days....on day 8 Start stirring Stage 1 & 2 ....Stir stage 1 & 2 for 7 more days....on day 15 stir Stage 1, 2, & 3 for 7 more days ...in 21 days you will have completely stirred your whole sandbed and released the built up toxins slow enough to not cause a problem...if your tank is over 1 year old...i advise adding the appropriate amount of Chemipure Elite or Chemipure Blue to alleviate excess toxins...once you complete this 21 day process just stir your sand daily and it will always remain white and pretty.
received_10208515688997221.jpeg
2016-05-30 16.44.48.jpg
Screenshot_2015-09-26-12-50-06.png

I'm changing tanks and putting in new sand. When can I start with the sand clean stage 1? I have all live rock. I won't start a cycle will I?

Jim C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it was already stated, but where did you get that tool?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm changing tanks and putting in new sand. When can I start with the sand clean stage 1? I have all live rock. I won't start a cycle will I?
You need to let the tank cycle first my friend

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 79 47.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back