More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2453.JPG
Old tank syndrome has a technical term its called:

Eutrophication

This is when algae grow out of control due to nutrient issues. Oxygen gets deprived and the ecosystem gets out of balance. Too much algae means youve got a eutrophic aquarium. But most people mask their eutrophic tanks. How? They use protein skimmers to provide oxygen (see borneman study), they grow algae turf, or dose vodka, or grow macroalgae, or use gfo, all in an effort to stop the effects of eutrophication. But guess what? Its fake. Our tanks arnt function ecosystems, they only mimick it.

I love sand, but since this is what my diy swirl filter collects daily, i won't contribute eutrophication to my tank by having a sand bed. I run a bb tank (substrate free) because it makes sense.

Most of the food you feed your fish daily will be excreted and 35% can be available as po4 immediately and 40% as fish poo that will break down into po4/no3. (Various studies)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are featuring in that video the prevention of 80% of today's posted cyano/spirulina problem tanks. look how that sand has zero cloud, this isn't catch-up stirring after mos of allowance

Any problem tank out there if stirred will make quite a waste cloud as indication. Low waste sandbed=balanced sandbed that is a great vid

My DSB is about 6" depth and it w pass same test for clouding.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if daily stirring is necessary. What if it was a week?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for a week now. I generally vacuum all my sand once a week when I do a waterchange. This has made a significant change in my sandbed. I did my weekly waterchange yesterday and there was almost no detritus. My sandbed stays white all day, everywhere now. I am definitely making this a part of my daily routine. Thanks for sharing!

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my setup I have a hose siphon that goes down to a drain in my basement. When I do water changes (once a week), I siphon the sand stirring it up as was shown in the video. Some sand gets sucked up and I am okay with that. I have been doing this since I started in this hobby (even my older tanks I had). Never had any issues. I think its very important to stir the bed quite frequently.

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my setup I have a hose siphon that goes down to a drain in my basement. When I do water changes (once a week), I siphon the sand stirring it up as was shown in the video. Some sand gets sucked up and I am okay with that. I have been doing this since I started in this hobby (even my older tanks I had). Never had any issues. I think its very important to stir the bed quite frequently.
Thanx for your insight @Dan McNertney

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for a week now. I generally vacuum all my sand once a week when I do a waterchange. This has made a significant change in my sandbed. I did my weekly waterchange yesterday and there was almost no detritus. My sandbed stays white all day, everywhere now. I am definitely making this a part of my daily routine. Thanks for sharing!
Glad I could help @Rick.45cal

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are featuring in that video the prevention of 80% of today's posted cyano/spirulina problem tanks. look how that sand has zero cloud, this isn't catch-up stirring after mos of allowance

Any problem tank out there if stirred will make quite a waste cloud as indication. Low waste sandbed=balanced sandbed that is a great vid

My DSB is about 6" depth and it w pass same test for clouding.
@brandon429 thanx man...you're the voice of reason concerning my method on this post...i appreciate that...I'm only trying to contribute a lil something to the hobby of what I've learned over the years.

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if daily stirring is necessary. What if it was a week?
@mdbannister I've noticed going anymore than 3 days that the bubbles in the sand builds up and algae begins to populate again after 7-10 days (that detritus green fueled algae at the front glass YUCK ) so skipping a day is not too bad .....but 7 days is pushing it to small spikes

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad to see this thread is still going...sorry if it took me a minute to get a response to some of you but I'm very busy at the moment working a turnaround ...84 hrs a week smh...but i have to make coral $$$$ so it's o.k.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but I've talked with blusop on a facebook page we both frequent and wanted to contribute my experience with his method. I admit I was somewhat skeptical but I'm at the end of my 3 week regime and my sand bed has never looked so good. Thanks Lorenzo!

sandbed1%201%20of%201_zpsyp46glak.jpg

sandbed2%201%20of%201_zpsxdiirz6m.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a speech at macna this year that old tank syndrome is actually Lazy Reefer Syndrome lol

It's actually " Lazy A$& Reefer Syndrome" or LARS. Lol

MrineLfRlz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!
Ive been fighting keeping a clean sand bed for some time now and just came across this on a search. Im going to try this out, as of now i dont have this tool but will very soon be purchasing one i will until then use a long piece of 1/2" pvc for the job. Ive just started the 21 day process this morning.
Can you please tell me though what type of sand you are using my SB is barley 2" in some places and the front middle section is partially bare and i need to add more thanks.

OP
OP
blusop

blusop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread!
Ive been fighting keeping a clean sand bed for some time now and just came across this on a search. Im going to try this out, as of now i dont have this tool but will very soon be purchasing one i will until then use a long piece of 1/2" pvc for the job. Ive just started the 21 day process this morning.
Can you please tell me though what type of sand you are using my SB is barley 2" in some places and the front middle section is partially bare and i need to add more thanks.
I'm using CaribSea Pink Fiji...if you need any tips hmu on here or fb my name is Lorenzo White @MrineLfRlz

MrineLfRlz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks again i know what type im getting next lol
Im usually on RC and havent been around R2R much but i think im going to start looking around the site more:)
Thats right before i forget to ask ive found the petco type of gardener on #bay (dont know if i can use the name on here yet?) anyone tried these?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back