My Wife's Jellyfish Tank

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm setting up my wife's jellyfish tank that we won in the raffle at MACNA. Here is the tank (along with almost everything else I brought home).

loot.jpg

Here are the jellies acclimating.

20150916_181232.jpg

20150916_181238.jpg

20150916_181313.jpg

20150916_181315.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's cool. They must need alot of specifications.
Actually no...or at least it doesn't seem like it will be from what I've read. Their temperature range is anywhere from 60-90 degrees (so a heater isn't necessary in most homes). Salinity is 1.020-1.023. Feeding is 1-2 times per day with special dry jellyfish food (they also eat brine shrimp and apparently finely chopped mysis will also work). The food doesn't cost much, but it does have to be refrigerated. The tank itself is pretty simple to maintain. Weekly water changes are a must (but on a 5 gallon tank, that's a 1g WC...easy peezy when compared to the 180 mixed reef I'm running).

I'm just getting started, but I've been reading a lot, and this looks pretty simple. Time will tell whether I'm right or not.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no...or at least it doesn't seem like it will be from what I've read. Their temperature range is anywhere from 60-90 degrees (so a heater isn't necessary in most homes). Salinity is 1.020-1.023. Feeding is 1-2 times per day with special dry jellyfish food (they also eat brine shrimp and apparently finely chopped mysis will also work). The food doesn't cost much, but it does have to be refrigerated. The tank itself is pretty simple to maintain. Weekly water changes are a must (but on a 5 gallon tank, that's a 1g WC...easy peezy when compared to the 180 mixed reef I'm running).

I'm just getting started, but I've been reading a lot, and this looks pretty simple. Time will tell whether I'm right or not.

nice. been thinking about a jelly tank for awhile. havent put much "real" thought/research into, as of yet. However, I have seen the jelly specific tanks, and remember when they were funding on KS.
where do you get the jellies? whats the deal with that tank?

Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice. been thinking about a jelly tank for awhile. havent put much "real" thought/research into, as of yet. However, I have seen the jelly specific tanks, and remember when they were funding on KS.
where do you get the jellies? whats the deal with that tank?

Let us know how it goes.

This one came from Jellyfish Art. They sell moon jellies and the tanks. I'll keep this thread updated...although I don't think the tank will change much. :D

Last edited:

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a jellyfish art tank for about 1.5 years. I had 2 large and 3 small. Really unique animals to watch. Keep up on water changes and they will love for a long time. A lot of bad reviews out there about them not living long, also don't clean the floor plate. Let it becomes slimy like your aquarium gets. It will help keep them floating in the right direction and not get stuck. You might see them get stuck to the floor, if so increase the bubble rate a bit and once slime grows all will be well. Enjoy!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a jellyfish art tank for about 1.5 years. I had 2 large and 3 small. Really unique animals to watch. Keep up on water changes and they will love for a long time. A lot of bad reviews out there about them not living long, also don't clean the floor plate. Let it becomes slimy like your aquarium gets. It will help keep them floating in the right direction and not get stuck. You might see them get stuck to the floor, if so increase the bubble rate a bit and once slime grows all will be well. Enjoy!
Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I figured water changes are going to be absolutely essential, but I definitely didn't know that about the floor plate. Thanks!

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister picked up a jellyfish tank at MACNA too haha, she got a Cubic Orbit 20 though. We actually just set it up tonight with water and salt. I am working on getting better media and stuff for her than what came with.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reef13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, I was thinking about setting one up myself eventually when I have more eoom. My lfs has the same one set up too and it's soo cool to watch.. you're right on keeping them. They aren't as much work as they look, just weekly water changes.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool thanks much for sharing!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back