Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I need some pro advice.
Everyone seems happy but my zoas.
I have a 32 Coralife stock cube.
Algae mostly just on the glass.
I run Purigen, floss and ceramic bioballs in the 2nd compartment.
Alk 8.60 Hanna
Phos 0.09 Hanna
Ca2 460 API
Temp 78 Inkbird
I love zoas ! Any advice or other questions would be helpful
20220312_132101.jpg

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it’s the LED lights, have you changed the schedule at all? You may need to look at programming a schedule to see if that helps. A quick search in here will pull up a few scheduling threads.

fishandstangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you don’t have pest that may be bugging or eating them. Nudibrach or starfish, I had a similar issue with my zoas at first and it was pest. Everything else was doing well but my zoas.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks are great al killing coral. Hell, even older tanks do a good job. Just keep your water good and see what survives.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be that peppermint shrimp. I had one that used to pick at my corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You may have false CA readings with API kit. Coral and Fish dont talk - Test kits DO and stay away from API kits.
I would highly suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and see what numbers/readings they come up with.
There are a number of factors why zoas close up. Some are water movement/flow as zoas do not require the consistent high flow conditions that SPS corals do. I would consider a moderate flow environment ideal but Zoanthids, like most corals, can adapt to low or high flow. In high flow, you will typically see polyps grow closer to the rock with shorter stalks. Another is lack of feeding and food as infrequent feeding and ultra low nutrient conditions can lead to entire colony meltdowns. Target feeding is not a requirement as Zoanthids are photosynthetic. I have found that target feeding Zoanthids always provides mixed results, when a food particle falls onto the polyps.

Back to parameters, good water quality is a must.
dKH: 8.0 - 11.0
Calcium: 420 - 440
Magnesium: 1300 - 1350
Iodide: Maintained via regular water changes or manually at small dosages
Temperature: 77-79 degrees
pH: 8.1-8.3
Phosphates: .02 - .04
Nitrates < 10

Asterina stars, little tiny tiny spiders and nudibranchs also will make them miserable to point of death as will aptasia, worms like spinoids or vermetid snails. A few things to look for. Hope this helps

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have false CA readings with API kit. Coral and Fish dont talk - Test kits DO and stay away from API kits.
I would highly suggest taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and see what numbers/readings they come up with.
There are a number of factors why zoas close up. Some are water movement/flow as zoas do not require the consistent high flow conditions that SPS corals do. I would consider a moderate flow environment ideal but Zoanthids, like most corals, can adapt to low or high flow. In high flow, you will typically see polyps grow closer to the rock with shorter stalks. Another is lack of feeding and food as infrequent feeding and ultra low nutrient conditions can lead to entire colony meltdowns. Target feeding is not a requirement as Zoanthids are photosynthetic. I have found that target feeding Zoanthids always provides mixed results, when a food particle falls onto the polyps.

Nitrates < 10

Asterina stars, little tiny tiny spiders and nudibranchs also will make them miserable to point of death as will aptasia, worms like spinoids or vermetid snails. A few things to look for. Hope this helps

Nitrates < 10

OP
OP
bxclent

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has tested my water w/ salifert and got very close to the same levels of CA. I see no pest at all, though I do check even at night Ninja Style with a flashlight ! LOL

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back