My zoas are somehow still alive after a 1 month blackout and continuously dosing algeacide

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics at this time, but I just thought it was too funny not to share. Tank went blackout on Dec 10th and have been dosing algaefix every 3 days since. There's no natural light in the room. They are constantly closed, but I turned my lights on for 20 mins to install some equipment and they opened up. There's only 2 half dollar sized colonies in the tank, Fire and Ice and Nirvana. Blew my mind.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics at this time, but I just thought it was too funny not to share. Tank went blackout on Dec 10th and have been dosing algaefix every 3 days since. There's no natural light in the room. They are constantly closed, but I turned my lights on for 20 mins to install some equipment and they opened up. There's only 2 half dollar sized colonies in the tank, Fire and Ice and Nirvana. Blew my mind.
You'd be surprised how resilient some corals can be to the point of being pests. Zoas are one of those than can get out of control if left unchecked. Even sps can be a pest if they take hold. I have an entrusting monti that just displaced a favia.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy they are still alive and going like they are!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could end up dying. I hope that the live, but they might not.

I put a huge rock with a lot of nasty zoas on it (like some trash zoas) into a bin and forgot about them form almost a year. They looked fine and perfect when I took them out, but they quickly wasted away once they got into a situation more like a real tank.

Opening up is a good sign.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My son has tiny zoas popping up in his tank after a crash about 2 years ago. Complete shock! Not sure how long they can lie dormant, but there has been absolutely no sign of them after the crash.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back