mysis flat pack

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

i am used to feeding 6 cubes of mysis per day. its getting expensive so i bought the largest pack i could find but its not divided into cubes. im scared of overfeeding because i wont know the correct dose.

is there a way you guys measure or break this up into doses so you know how much to feed from the flat pack?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

i am used to feeding 6 cubes of mysis per day. its getting expensive so i bought the largest pack i could find but its not divided into cubes. im scared of overfeeding because i wont know the correct dose.

is there a way you guys measure or break this up into doses so you know how much to feed from the flat pack?
Some folks take the flat packs, defrost them, put them in a DIY cubing tray (sort of like an ice tray), and then refreeze it. I myself use LRS Nano Frenzy in my tank and break of 1/2" or so square chunks for my fish when I feed them a chunk of it but most of the time I defrost a good amount at a time and feed my fish a syringe full of it and put the excess in a small jar in the fridge until the next feeding. It keeps that way for a few days before it starts to smell bad.

OP
OP
tokigami

tokigami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now the question is if i get the package and defrost it.. then make my own cubes and then refreeze it is that bad and will it expire quickly? like i would love this idea but dont want to unfreeze the huge package to then refreeze it and it go bad..

i could use the eggcreate i have to make the cubes its an easy idea actually and will work very well

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the flat pack, unfreeze multiple types of food then mix together (i rinse it all under cold RO water) and then put it in the mini ice cube trays and refreeze. You can get the mini ice cube trays at Bed Bath and Beyond or Amazon. Then I take all the cubes out once they freeze and put them in a tupperware dish and back in the freezer. When its time to feed, i simply take 2 cubes out and feed the tank. I would make enough to last a month then make another batch. The thing with thawing the food is to use cold RO water. Try not to let the food get to room temp. I run it under cold water once its thawed I put it in the freezer while im thawing out another pack.. Another thing I do is add strips of nori to the mix for my tangs also vitamins and garlic.

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks take the flat packs, defrost them, put them in a DIY cubing tray (sort of like an ice tray), and then refreeze it. I myself use LRS Nano Frenzy in my tank and break of 1/2" or so square chunks for my fish when I feed them a chunk of it but most of the time I defrost a good amount at a time and feed my fish a syringe full of it and put the excess in a small jar in the fridge until the next feeding. It keeps that way for a few days before it starts to smell bad.
Exactly what I do! I got gummy bear silicone candy molds and just pop em into the tank.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

What else are you feeding the tank beside mysis. I know many people buy fresh sea food items like clams, muscles, oysters, shrimp, fish and other goodies along with thawed packs of mysis, nori and use blender or food processor then freeze into cubes.
I use mostly pellets and Nori as there is no LFS and not much for fresh sea food where I live. When I go out of town I will pick up some frozen LRS Reef Frenzy and Fish Frenzy and Mysis. What brand are you using as many of the cubed foods are over 95 percent water.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back