Mysis Shrimp Explosion after power outage

LauraB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am relatively new to reefing (110 gallon tank up for 6 months). Recently we had a momentary power outage and upon return of power a flood of leftover mysis shrimp entered the DT - it basically looks like a snowglobe in there. We had no indication that we had mysis shrimp sitting anywhere decaying in the tank as we spot feed the anenomes and have a clean up crew that should take care of any extra. My question is - where do you think the leftover mysis shrimp was gathering at? I have a shadow overflow into a emerald trigger system sump with 2 filter socks -->in-sump protein skimmer -->refugium, and then an additional baffle with mechanical filter that leads to a neptune return pump. The return pump then goes through 2 seperate return PVC piping with 2 check valves (1 on each) back to the tank. I am worried that I am going to start struggling with my water quality if the mysis shrimp are decaying somewhere in the tank. Thanks for any help you can provide!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the cloudiness coming after a power outage I suspect the detritus is coming from the sump. It's likely not just uneaten food (that would degrade quickly even if uneaten by the cleanup crew). It's probably made up of a number of things. Watch your return chamber for detritus build up, there or in the refugium chamber is where I get build up. You can run a small powerhead aimed at the bottom in the chamber that is having the build up. That has seemed to help a lot in my sump.

Edit...why the check valves? It's best to set up your sump where they aren't needed. They can fail and if you're depending on them you could have a flood.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if your socks had been full of them and the rising water in the sump, plus the back siphon of water rose above the top of the socks and they ended up over flowing into the sump waiting for the return to kick back on.

That's my guess!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back