Mysteriously Dying LPS

What's killing my LPS

• Total voters

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also haven't ruled it out completely however all the soft coral I have and my now dead LPS all thrived together with no issues for almost 2 years in my old tank. Moved it all over to the new tank (almost double the volume) and bam one month in LPS start dying. I have recently added some more mushrooms but the zoas, leathers and most of the 90% of the mushrooms are all original.

There is no way to *confirm* chemical warfare though is there? Besides WC and carbon is there anything else to reduce it? I use seachem carbon and try to keep it fresh but I don't want to run too much carbon as too much can cause HLLE and I have 4 tangs.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I meant .15-.20
May I ask what phosphate test equipment do you use? I am having the same issue like the OP and I have lost all of my hammers and frogspawns. I am currently running GFO and dosing NOPOX. My nitrate is at 1-2 ppm with red sea nitrate pro, and my phosphate is at 0.15-0.25 ppm using Hanna ULR phosphorous checker.
Thank you.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what phosphate test equipment do you use? I am having the same issue like the OP and I have lost all of my hammers and frogspawns. I am currently running GFO and dosing NOPOX. My nitrate is at 1-2 ppm with red sea nitrate pro, and my phosphate is at 0.15-0.25 ppm using Hanna ULR phosphorous checker.
Thank you.

do you feed your corals at all? how new is your tank? any evidence of brown jelly on their heads? can you get a triton test to see if you've got any unsavory elements in the tank? any rusting/failing equipment? they could also be starving at those levels. My tank is near that but I feed corals twice a week and feed LRS Reef to the fish which excess hits the corals, too.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates... I seem to be in the same situation and its really frustrating loosing corals you have grown up so big...

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never really did figure out what the culprit was. I've got a few LPS pieces scattered about a few of my systems that have lasted over a year. Still pretty hit or miss in general. A lot of the LPS deaths I had were pretty quick, maybe not acclimating them well enough or inverts eating them when the lights were out.

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever figured out what it was in the end ?
I have now all my shrimp disappearing and all my LPS are done. No more. Hammers and Duncan’s LOBO weeks ago. The only thing seem to be happy are my zoa’s and my fish .
keep on testing even with triton but I stopped that after they kept on telling me my magnesium was to low and put like 1400ml in over like 4 days. ( I did not do that ) Well I had my system on a doser and my own test was 1380 LFS test was 1370 every week I tested ....the numbers did not change on anything except CA it went from 460 to 380 after I took off the doser completely and NO the first time I did dose 500ml of mg over a few days ... like 100ml a day and things where getting worse so I knew something is just not right. And stopped listening to triton.
I kept on doing 20% water changes every week and briefly I had a stop in decaying but then I got my fave....( not) dinos and I started dosing Dino x now the few LPS ive had left died on me. Dinos are gone numbers still look good

CA 400
Mg1380
alk 8.5
ph 7.9
nitrate 2/5
no ammonia

water temp always the same 75 -76 F no heater in it
lights are 4 kessil 360x and 1 radion in the middle its a 220g 6 ft tank
I got a brand new sump trigger system platnium with the fleece roll about 6 weeks ago...... have a great working skimmer from Deltec ....
2 vortech MP40 wavemakers both are on the right side one lower one higher
2 Nero 5 on each side in the back in the middle is a huge overflow
1 max spect gyre on the left side
will running different speeds during the day and night sometimes on short pulse mostly on reef crest

maybe to much power in there ? to much light ? I don’t know anymore. Tank is running for 4 years now

63667611-CBEB-4053-BF58-EBD925C125AF.jpeg 932A92B0-44B9-41CB-95C6-1F1C05241F39.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ever figured out what it was in the end ?
I have now all my shrimp disappearing and all my LPS are done. No more. Hammers and Duncan’s LOBO weeks ago. The only thing seem to be happy are my zoa’s and my fish .
keep on testing even with triton but I stopped that after they kept on telling me my magnesium was to low and put like 1400ml in over like 4 days. ( I did not do that ) Well I had my system on a doser and my own test was 1380 LFS test was 1370 every week I tested ....the numbers did not change on anything except CA it went from 460 to 380 after I took off the doser completely and NO the first time I did dose 500ml of mg over a few days ... like 100ml a day and things where getting worse so I knew something is just not right. And stopped listening to triton.
I kept on doing 20% water changes every week and briefly I had a stop in decaying but then I got my fave....( not) dinos and I started dosing Dino x now the few LPS ive had left died on me. Dinos are gone numbers still look good

CA 400
Mg1380
alk 8.5
ph 7.9
nitrate 2/5
no ammonia

water temp always the same 75 -76 F no heater in it
lights are 4 kessil 360x and 1 radion in the middle its a 220g 6 ft tank
I got a brand new sump trigger system platnium with the fleece roll about 6 weeks ago...... have a great working skimmer from Deltec ....
2 vortech MP40 wavemakers both are on the right side one lower one higher
2 Nero 5 on each side in the back in the middle is a huge overflow
1 max spect gyre on the left side
will running different speeds during the day and night sometimes on short pulse mostly on reef crest

maybe to much power in there ? to much light ? I don’t know anymore. Tank is running for 4 years now

63667611-CBEB-4053-BF58-EBD925C125AF.jpeg 932A92B0-44B9-41CB-95C6-1F1C05241F39.jpeg
Water temp a little too cool. Happy medium is 77-79
Calcium a little low BUT acceptable. I see a few swings between CA and MAG.
How did you use/dose Dino X ??

Questions:

What test kit(s) are you using?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the sink?
Salinity- Are you calibrating to assure youre not getting false readings?

Recommended parameters:

Temp 77-79
alk 450
Mag 1300
Salinity 1.025
ph 8.1 - 8.3
ammonia .03
nitrate .02

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m using my LFS and compare them to my own ... I m using
Red Sea and salifert Tests
I m using RO and Premixed water what I all buy from LFS. Never tap water
salinity also always in check
I can take my fans off amd try to raise temp
For sure

I used Dino x as per instruction on bottle every other day for about 1 week then I stopped it wasn’t totally clear from Dino’s but very minimal but since everything seemed to really hate that stuff ... I was like ok I stop.

I also don’t think my fish are eating the lps

naso tang ( have her for 5 yrs now )
Gem tang ( 1.5 yrs)
Yellow tang ( 3.5 yrs )
Couple of anthias
4 Cromis
1 pair cardinals
1 lawnmower
1 coral beauty
1 fox face
2 fire fish gobys

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I used to have the greatest bubble tops in my tank with a clown pair ... the clowns I still have the anemone died as well amd all my mushrooms

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back