Mysteriously Fine Sand Coming Out Live Rock - Mantis?

atlantean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some KP live rock that has been in my tank for about a month now. I hear clicking sound from time to time, but I've long thought it was a pistol shrimp that I found at the bottom of the live rock bag and threw in there. I noticed one of my rocks lately has some fine grain sand being dumped out of one of the holes. It looks much finer than my normal substrate. Is this likely a mantis burrowing in the rock or perhaps just the pistol shrimp?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some KP live rock that has been in my tank for about a month now. I hear clicking sound from time to time, but I've long thought it was a pistol shrimp that I found at the bottom of the live rock bag and threw in there. I noticed one of my rocks lately has some fine grain sand being dumped out of one of the holes. It looks much finer than my normal substrate. Is this likely a mantis burrowing in the rock or perhaps just the pistol shrimp?
Put some food outside the hole - and see what if anything comes out. It's likely the pistol shrimp

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More and not it'll be your pistol shrimp. My shrimp is small enough to fit in the holes in the rock and use them as tunnel entrances.

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually are deceptively small and can fit into very tight spaces. When I purchased my particular pistol, we had to spend about 30 minutes breaking open the rock to find what hole he climbed into

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back