Not open for further replies.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great Simon.
I love the pavona. It is a rarity for us on the other side.

Can you say again around what levels you have nitrates?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he not chew on corals and invertebrates Simon being a pufferfish ?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful images as always. I am interested to hear your Siporax story. Unless I missed it earlier in the thread. I am planning a minimalistic aquascape and have considered Marine Pure and Siporax. Each seem to have their issues, although many seem to use them successfully.

I share my experiences with Siporax - hope you do not object najer.

I used Siporax in a anaerobic environment and I got very high Si readings – over 17 000 microgram/l. I have take them away and now my Si levels read 400 microgram/l. It looks like there is no issue as long as they are aerobic (get oxygen) but during anaerobic conditions – Siporax release Si to the water column

By the way - Beautiful tank Najer

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he not chew on corals and invertebrates Simon being a pufferfish ?

How to explain, great question by the way, I do impulse buy but backed up by research.
Due to how I run the tank fish really need to "fit", I rarely buy carnivores now, the fuzzy dwarf lion is because I love them, it eats flake as well as being target fed frozen 2 or 3 times a week.
The puffer is listed as an omnivore.
I watch fish to see if they still have their natural grazing instinct, if they just swim around waiting to be fed I won't buy them.
It is one of the smallest puffers and started grazing rocks about 40 minutes after introduction.
Yes it is a risk but a small one in my opinion! ;)

I share my experiences with Siporax - hope you do not object najer.

I used Siporax in a anaerobic environment and I got very high Si readings – over 17 000 microgram/l. I have take them away and now my Si levels read 400 microgram/l. It looks like there is no issue as long as they are aerobic (get oxygen) but during anaerobic conditions – Siporax release Si to the water column

By the way - Beautiful tank Najer

Sincerely Lasse

Always feel free to add to my journal.
I am going to remove it over the weekend, been thinking about it, your comment sealed it, thank you. :)
I always put it in as a backup, currently I appear to be in a lower nutrient phase, slowed macro algae growth.
I need to get some water from the lfs first as when I remove it I want to rinse it to save the pod life.
(No I don't keep salt in the house.)
Thank you. :)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Fadi.
Congrats on your ROTM!
We are in the same WhatsApp group.

Right Simon, about the nitrates... forgot you are the lazy reefer. Lol

I had them tested twice about 6 months ago when I was recovering from the power cut / outage.
I was doing waterchanges, I had a lot of corals let go and they were 50 after the first 50 litres and about 150 - 200 litres more they were down to 20.
I didn't bother testing again once they were at 20 and didn't do any more waterchanges.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev. :)

Did I mention I had and acan garden in the making, ongoing project. ;)

DSC_0002 by sshipuk, on Flickr
Hello Najer, always amazing how your tank seems to go on forever..........and ever........and ever..........one of the true reefs on here.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Najer, always amazing how your tank seems to go on forever..........and ever........and ever..........one of the true reefs on here.

Thanks, it took ages for me to get the scape how I liked it, as I view it from the desk 90% of the time but still wanted it to look nice from the front, there is a "gorge" area you can't see from the front! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back