OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came down to water lapping at the brace bars this morning.
The main drain has been blocked for ages, don't ask.
Something was blocking the back up!
I fiddled with the valve to see if it would un block, bulkhead went!
Unplugged the M1 and the Eheim for the cube and took the spraybar off in the display and angled the nozzle in the cube up.

There may have been various expletives dropped!

The two drains for the display are over the return section of the sump, less of a panic than when the one on the cube went and fried my electrics.

Trip to lfs.

Upgrade bulkhead and fittings bought, snag one, reaching the nut in the weir.
Picture me on a folding work bench stretching 26 inches across the tank and 18 inches down in the weir!

Did I mention expletives?!

I had to adjust the angle of the bulkhead below to nip the nut down so I used a zip tie to the secondary drain, ... and then I have the secondary drain in my hands!

... lots ...

Back to the lfs.

The only thing they had left that would fit was a pre made piece from a tank, no problem.
Except it had to be tighten from inside the weir again.
I have tried three times to nip this up by hand and failed, no I couldn't find a wrench.

So we are semi running, the M1 is not running in the display and the spraybar is off, the Eheim (3000 I think) is throttled back to give a slow turnover in the cube and fuge.
I have the RW 15 on a pulse mode for the display and aimed up a bit.
I have a constant drip into the sump which I can live with, I will find or buy a wrench tomorrow.
The water does slowly permeate between the two side so I am just trying to cut the flow to that bulkhead

The twins have 6 bulkheads by the way, all replacements being ordered next week and will nudge me up to one inch drains.

DSC_0100 (1024x683).jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got very close to pulling the plug today.

Don't make me come over there ;) Hope you get things sorted my friend, Im panicking just reading your post.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez Murphy was really sticking it to ya my friend! Glad it’s under some control. Bouncing best vibes I got to ya my friend. You got it covered good luck getting what ya need to wrap it up

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a story! My heart skipped a beat when I read this. Do we need to start a GoFundMe to get you a wrench?

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks all. :)

When the second one let go I went to the fridge and grabbed a beer.
I had a ciggy watching the display with just the RW 15 on it's lowest pulse setting turning the water over.
The fish looked frightened and upset and that stopped me from switching it off, they are in my care.
I put the beer back in the fridge, my lfs is closed on Mondays so I had to get it sorted.

The RW 15 is now still on pulse but at 7 on the power and it is breaking the surface so hard I have water on the mesh, all the fish seem fine, the flasher wrasse didn't come out for breakfast this morning but I can see it in it's cave.

I am not going to fight with the leak today as I should be able to get the parts I need to replace the emergency drain which is leaking tomorrow.
I have bruised ribs from the tank this morning and can't be bothered!

I lost a day trying to catch the cherub yesterday, I'm about to reset the trap.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that really sucks. It's great that were able to keep everything going and keep all of the animals safe through it. You should definitely be proud of that.

As you are getting the permanent solution ready is a good time to think of how to add features to stop it happening again.

Cheers,
Tony

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so glad tank is stable now.

Wishing you good luck with the plumbing over the next couple days. I’m so glad you didn’t need to do this in a rush situation.

Plumbing in a hurry never ended well for me and it always takes multiple trips to Home Depot or Local Shop due to Murphy’s Law.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that really sucks. It's great that were able to keep everything going and keep all of the animals safe through it. You should definitely be proud of that.

As you are getting the permanent solution ready is a good time to think of how to add features to stop it happening again.

Cheers,
Tony
I’m so glad tank is stable now.

Wishing you good luck with the plumbing over the next couple days. I’m so glad you didn’t need to do this in a rush situation.

Plumbing in a hurry never ended well for me and it always takes multiple trips to Home Depot or Local Shop due to Murphy’s Law.

Thanks both, I was chatting with the lfs and these were kit parts that have consistently failed and always break the same, the new ones are inch instead of 3/4 and are much more substantial.
I have never been able to run the M1 flat out as I could never drain fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%

Back