Name this coral?

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a bunch of corals from some1 in my area but I have 2 corals that I have no idea what they are and how much they're worth. Hopefully some1 can help! I attached the 2 corals and the 2nd pic it's the coral on the left side of the zoas... colt coral?
20180713_183120.jpeg
20180712_213140.jpeg

OP
OP
TankLife86

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one looks like a lokani. Second one not sure.
Thanx for the help man I was looking some other corals to... I was thinking the 2nd one is a lokani and the first one is a purple dragon colony. Would you know how they're worth?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanx for the help man I was looking some other corals to... I was thinking the 2nd one is a lokani and the first one is a purple dragon colony. Would you know how they're worth?
First one is not any kind of purple dragon. It’s not the right species. Second one is 100% not a lokani.

Value is totally unknown. No lineage, and as a colony who knows. Colonies often do not do well transplanting to a new system. Value is whatever someone is willing to pay. :p

OP
OP
TankLife86

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one is not any kind of purple dragon. It’s not the right species. Second one is 100% not a lokani.

Value is totally unknown. No lineage, and as a colony who knows. Colonies often do not do well transplanting to a new system. Value is whatever someone is willing to pay. :p
Haha thanx for the help! Hopefully some1 can identify the 2 species

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First coral looks like Acropora Jacquelineae. Second might be a Pocillopora

OP
OP
TankLife86

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you already bought them so the value would be what you paid? :)
It actually came from some1 posting locally getting rid of all his livestock n I know what I paid for the livestock is nowhere near what the coral is worth. Paid $50 for his livestock from 3 rocks of zoa colonies and the 2 I posted n some other ones I'll take pics n post here to get some idea what they are

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not any type of dragon. If they did not come with names and lineage, then they do not have any. Just call them what the species are along with some color... like Purple Lokani. Colonies are not worth too much - the people who have room and the money will not usually pay for them since they know that they are prone to STN and issues - they would rather have a chunky frag. The colony is worth more as frags, unfortunately.

First one is most likely A. Lokani or A. Caroliniana (A. Jaccquelineas above is pretty good too). The second one is some type of cyphastera? The second one is hard to tell from the pics.

Any of those deepwaters can really get beautiful under true full spectrum lights. They do not need a ton of light, but the quality really seems to matter to most of the deepwaters.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually came from some1 posting locally getting rid of all his livestock n I know what I paid for the livestock is nowhere near what the coral is worth. Paid $50 for his livestock from 3 rocks of zoa colonies and the 2 I posted n some other ones I'll take pics n post here to get some idea what they are
So you got a good deal, I guess I'd just be happy with that. :) Hopefully they don't go through transplant syndrome and they stabilize in your tank, then you'd have some very lovely pieces. The 2nd one has a lot of tissue necrosis though so that one might be in rough shape. Just keep everything stable!

OP
OP
TankLife86

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just a good deal I couldn't pass up not knowing how they would do in my tank... Once I put them in my tank they did fine so I figure they'd do good!

OP
OP
TankLife86

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you got a good deal, I guess I'd just be happy with that. :) Hopefully they don't go through transplant syndrome and they stabilize in your tank, then you'd have some very lovely pieces. The 2nd one has a lot of tissue necrosis though so that one might be in rough shape. Just keep everything stable!
The 2nd coral was already like that when I picked them up... I was hoping it was signs of growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back