Name top weakest reef organism that will not tolerate bad params

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. (subject to modification if we find a weaker occupant of #1) Lysmata cleaner shrimp

2. Crinoidea (salinity drift intolerants)

3.? if there's better 1 and 2 let me know I'll update.

everything will die in reefing if params drift far enough

which ones go first

which ones go and then the other leftovers can tolerate higher levels of X

if you know of particular species that will not tolerate pH drops for example, list them pls so we can compile a running list of sensitives in order of weakest to strongest for common reef params.

just the other day we were unlinking someone's very low calcium levels to recent fish loss, threads like this one can help us find patterns in what params affect what species in pattern as reported by potentially hundreds of live time samplers.

we use the presence of happy and feeding Lysmata shrimps to prove a lot of people aren't in the middle of an ammonia crisis: reliable? if someone is in an ammonia crisis, which animals will show symptoms first, and how do they show it

my vote is, if you're in the middle of an ammonia crisis your lysmata is a goner in 3, 2,

thereefhotspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. (subject to modification if we find a weaker occupant of #1) Lysmata cleaner shrimp

2. Crinoidea (salinity drift intolerants)

3.? if there's better 1 and 2 let me know I'll update.

everything will die in reefing if params drift far enough

which ones go first

which ones go and then the other leftovers can tolerate higher levels of X

if you know of particular species that will not tolerate pH drops for example, list them pls so we can compile a running list of sensitives in order of weakest to strongest for common reef params.

just the other day we were unlinking someone's very low calcium levels to recent fish loss, threads like this one can help us find patterns in what params affect what species in pattern as reported by potentially hundreds of live time samplers.

we use the presence of happy and feeding Lysmata shrimps to prove a lot of people aren't in the middle of an ammonia crisis: reliable? if someone is in an ammonia crisis, which animals will show symptoms first, and how do they show it

my vote is, if you're in the middle of an ammonia crisis your lysmata is a goner in 3, 2,
Carnation soft corals, or red cauliflower are very susceptible to salinity changes and typically do well with a very stable nitrate value usually in the 5 ppm to 10 ppm range. Typically, all leather corals will show you when either your salinity or iodine levels are low.

Any Tangs in the Naso family or tangs that grow larger than 7 inches require high PH aquariums because they take up so much oxygen compared to other fish.

In an Ammonia crisis or PH crisis, best to look at the gills of your big swimmers. If they are inflamed or seem heavy you may be looking at an issue. Ammonia can also cause damage to the eyes of your fish.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did not know those, thank you very much for posting

the fish assessment part is handy for cycle control vs loss threads for sure.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lysmata used to rule out parameter killing of fish. Could be acclimation stresses for the new additions, or it could be fish disease, but it can’t be ammonia or nitrite in play if that lysmata stays kickin’ day by day while that other wrasse gets fed daily and acts normal and the water stays clear.

using certain animals to quickly rule out loss causatives is fun reef detecting and clue hunting.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back