Nano 15g Skimmer options ?

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! i am going with a 15-20 gallon nano tank but I am looking to upgrade all the equipment on the tank since im looking for advanced level stuff. what is a quality skimmer for a 15-20 AIO nano such as the waterbox peninsula 15g? Thanks for thoughts!

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers! i am going with a 15-20 gallon nano tank but I am looking to upgrade all the equipment on the tank since im looking for advanced level stuff. what is a quality skimmer for a 15-20 AIO nano such as the waterbox peninsula 15g? Thanks for thoughts!
With a 15-20 AIO you won’t find to much advanced level equipment - not sure if you’re comparing to a sump skimmer like a Nyos that will run ya a couple hundred dollars. Now, there are several options, but it depends on what you’re looking for: sleek and unnoticeable but not the best performance, or large bulky with a better components for a better skim/adjustability. A reef glass skimmer is probably as small as you can go, works off an air stone, and the collection cup for skim can really be anything since it is not directly attached to the body of the skimmer. Not sure what the dimensions for your baffle are, but a IM desktop skimmer is also an option. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 15-20 AIO you won’t find to much advanced level equipment - not sure if you’re comparing to a sump skimmer like a Nyos that will run ya a couple hundred dollars. Now, there are several options, but it depends on what you’re looking for: sleek and unnoticeable but not the best performance, or large bulky with a better components for a better skim/adjustability. A reef glass skimmer is probably as small as you can go, works off an air stone, and the collection cup for skim can really be anything since it is not directly attached to the body of the skimmer. Not sure what the dimensions for your baffle are, but a IM desktop skimmer is also an option. Hope this helps.
ill check them out thank you so much !! reef octopus doesnt make a nano skimmer? I care more about my water quality than how it looks but if there is a skimmer that can preform well and not an eye sore i would go for that as well! Also how are the sicce pumpps ? i know for a fact the stock return pumps that come with the waterboxes is not going to do it for me lol

GlfFxtrtYnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the skimmers i found...thoughts ?
  • Aquamax NF-1*
  • Tunze 9001
  • Reef glass protein skimmer
  • Reef octopus classic 100 HOB
Just remember to check the footprint of each skimmer and see if it will fit in one of the back slots. Most AIO's are only usually 3-4 inches deep in the back compartments. The AquaMaxx NF-1 and Tunze 9001 may not fit not fit. Not sure if you bought your tank yet or not, but if you have not you can always reach out to the maker of the tank you are looking to get to get the measurements of the back compartments. Then once you have those build out your equipment list from there.

Actually after looking on the Waterbox site I found the dimensions. The entire filtration compartment is 13.8 x 3.1 x 13.8, the filter chamber measures 3.1 x 3.1 x 13.8, then the skimmer chamber it 4.9 x 3.1 x 13.8, and finally the return chamber is 3.7 x 3.1 x 13.8.

So the footprints of the AquaMaxx NF-1 and Tunze should fit, just the magnet will be inside on one of the walls.

Anyways, happy reefing!

GlfFxtrtYnky

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember to check the footprint of each skimmer and see if it will fit in one of the back slots. Most AIO's are only usually 3-4 inches deep in the back compartments. The AquaMaxx NF-1 and Tunze 9001 may not fit not fit. Not sure if you bought your tank yet or not, but if you have not you can always reach out to the maker of the tank you are looking to get to get the measurements of the back compartments. Then once you have those build out your equipment list from there.

Actually after looking on the Waterbox site I found the dimensions. The entire filtration compartment is 13.8 x 3.1 x 13.8, the filter chamber measures 3.1 x 3.1 x 13.8, then the skimmer chamber it 4.9 x 3.1 x 13.8, and finally the return chamber is 3.7 x 3.1 x 13.8.

So the footprints of the AquaMaxx NF-1 and Tunze should fit, just the magnet will be inside on one of the walls.

Anyways, happy reefing!

GlfFxtrtYnky
i was actually looking at the ICE Kap K1 nano skimmer? is this better than the aquamax NF1?

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anyways, happy reefing!

GlfFxtrtYnky
i am sold on the ice cap nano skimmer... I am going to get the waterbox 15g peninsula tank.. i have to get the exact dimensions but i believe it will fit

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out aquamax bullet-1

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look in the nano section at a tank of the same size as yours, find a tank you love, and I doubt it’ll have a skimmer.

You say you are looking for “advanced lvl stuff”, if you plan on having sps I would advise going bigger than 15g, if LPS etc then you don’t need fancy equipment, the main reason big tanks have skimmers is because skimming is easier and cheaper to do than a water change, with a nano, you can easily do a water change, which will be more affective than a nano skimmer.

I would save the space you have in your aio for other stuff, it’s very limited back there, I wouldn’t fill it with a skimmer when a water change would work just as well.

Most equipment in tanks is there to keep the water clean, you have the advantage of doing that very easily when ever you want, without the equipment.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (but not using) the Tunze 9001. It does fit in the middle chamber but you cannot do anything else, meaning you'll have to put other items in the other chambers. That's not going to work for me if I plan on using a skimmer at all. I just bought the ice cap as the dimensions seem better because I want to fit both the skimmer and heater in the middle chamber. I don't plan on using a skimmer to begin with but once I get the skimmer, I'm going to do a test fit.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (but not using) the Tunze 9001. It does fit in the middle chamber but you cannot do anything else, meaning you'll have to put other items in the other chambers. That's not going to work for me if I plan on using a skimmer at all. I just bought the ice cap as the dimensions seem better because I want to fit both the skimmer and heater in the middle chamber. I don't plan on using a skimmer to begin with but once I get the skimmer, I'm going to do a test fit.
Where did you find the ice kap nano skimmer ! its sold out everywhere im trying to get my hands on one !!

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find the ice kap nano skimmer ! its sold out everywhere im trying to get my hands on one !!
Open box deal from R2R vendor.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open box deal from R2R vendor.

word i totally forgot i could probrably find one here... do you know of any sites where they are stocked by any chance ?

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
word i totally forgot i could probrably find one here... do you know of any sites where they are stocked by any chance ?
No. I wasn't even specifically looking to buy it at this time (not planning on using it immediately in my nano) but saw the deal and couldn't let it pass. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to use it. I need to do some mods to it to fit inside my WB nano. I think it's doable but was curious what others have done so I posted in an old thread but haven't gotten any responses....The skimmer is nicely built. I think they've updated it recently to make the design better. I hope I can get it to work.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I wasn't even specifically looking to buy it at this time (not planning on using it immediately in my nano) but saw the deal and couldn't let it pass. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to use it. I need to do some mods to it to fit inside my WB nano. I think it's doable but was curious what others have done so I posted in an old thread but haven't gotten any responses....The skimmer is nicely built. I think they've updated it recently to make the design better. I hope I can get it to work.
it should fit inside the waterbox 15g peninsula...which waterbox do you have ?

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it should fit inside the waterbox 15g peninsula...which waterbox do you have ?
It does fit but not w/ the included magnet and brace. I've been thinking about it. I'm pretty sure it's an easy mod to built up some egg crate and set the skimmer on it at the preferred water level. I have the PM 15. Is this what you have too?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back