Nano Light Upgrade

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am trying to upgrade the light on my Fluval evo 13.5. According to my findings online, the AI Prime is a strong candidate for this tank. When it comes to the AI, I frequently find conflicting opinions. lenses that are melting, broken equipment, and terrible customer service.

Any other options or do you guys think the AI is better than the negative reviews?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are a lot of great lights available, almost hard to make the wrong choice now a days. Definitely do some shopping around. I'm a big fan of @noopsyche lights, especially for the price. I run 2 separate tanks with them and very happy so far. Best of luck to you whatever you choose :)

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Noopsyche mini on my Evo (4th light on the Evo), and I have an AI prime on my IM 10g. I like the Noopsyche the most.

Stock LED: swapped this one the fastest.

Current Marine Orbit bar: came encrusted with salt inside the light. Returned and never went back.

Fluval Marine 3.0: kept this light for a few months. While lighting up the tank very well, I found it very underpowered. Would be great for a FOWLR due to no shadows.

22LEDusa blue heavy bar x 2: less $ for two bars than the fluval LED and each bar was more powerful. Good PAR and perfect size to sit on top of the Evo, but wasn't a super fan of the light mixing and wanted to move away from picking up bars every time I take the lid off.

Nopsyche Mini: love it. Seems very powerful, and corals look best I've seen them. Wish the flex arm was a little longer since I mount it from the chamber side. Figured out the connection and app without problems.

AI prime: never tried on Evo, but it lights my 10g cube well. Lense melted under the UV diode. AI sent a new one no charge. Good LED for a nano, but I like the Noop more, and the Noop can be had on sale at less than half $ of AI prime. Better app than Noop's though.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI prime is a solid choice
Noopsyche also solid.
RedSeaLED (90 size is likely sufficient for your nano) is also good.
in other words, like others have said, there are really no "BAD" choices out there.
Instead, balance of cost and preference.
For example, AI has lots of adjustability on colors. Great...but do you really need that? Perhaps you dont need that but want that.
RedSea has only two channels (Blue and white). Less 'fine tuning' but then again, less fuss. And corals seem to grow well in either.

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the NooPsyche K7 be a good choice or the mini? I’ll check out the RedSea on too! I currently have the stock light, so anything will be an upgrade.

Do most lights have apps that you can adjust for ramping and what not?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the NooPsyche K7 be a good choice or the mini? I’ll check out the RedSea on too! I currently have the stock light, so anything will be an upgrade.

The 13.5 is a peninsula so you could possibly use the K7, but it's overkill and you'll have spill, likely a lot of spill. I think the K7 Mini would be great. K7 mini has an app, ramps up/down and has 3 channels of blue, violet and white. So it's simple but does allow for customizing.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes, most (if not all) have ramping protocols that are easy (one click) to do. pretty standard now.

Phil Steel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche 7 minis are a very good alternative economical option and I believe they have an app. Or else if you can get your hands on a second hand kesil tuna, I hear they are quite good.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mini is supposedly good for a 20x20 region, and Evo is 18" length, so you should be just fine with a mini. I get some light spill over the narrow sides even with a 3D printed shade.

Again, wish the flex arm was a bit longer, but definitely works well over the evo and plenty of power.

PXL_20230109_015925637.jpg

PXL_20230122_182237952.jpg

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche 7 minis are a very good alternative economical option and I believe they have an app. Or else if you can get your hands on a second hand kesil tuna, I hear they are quite good.
I’ll look into the kesil tuna. Is there a certain model?

OP
OP
ChickReef

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini is supposedly good for a 20x20 region, and Evo is 18" length, so you should be just fine with a mini. I get some light spill over the narrow sides even with a 3D printed shade.

Again, wish the flex arm was a bit longer, but definitely works well over the evo and plenty of power.

PXL_20230109_015925637.jpg

PXL_20230122_182237952.jpg
Looks great!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try the new Ai blade! I just upgraded my nano tank with the Ai blade

I was gonna suggest the same. I am getting a pair to go right on the red sea 300 xl was gonna go with 2X ai primes. but the light spill is to much for the GF. oh course I will have 2 tanks in a small room.

@ChickReef I like how the AI blades mount right on the tank or there is a bunch of options. for a tank that size i would start of with one and go from there. all depends what style you want also think about future upgrades to.

light spill is where the room is blue like windex coming from our reef lighting. in the old days we all had canopies on the tanks to keep that down now days clean rimless tanks are all the rage and we have to deam with blue rooms and the nibors thinking we are growing pot. haha

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back