Nano protein skimmer.

reefer1351

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2025
Messages
7
Reaction score
9
Location
Cleveland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a have loaded 14 gallon nano tank. I use the second compartment for media. I was looking to add a hang on skimmer. What’s the best option out there that will work. Just jumped back in after a couple years away and really first nano.
 
I have a have loaded 14 gallon nano tank. I use the second compartment for media. I was looking to add a hang on skimmer. What’s the best option out there that will work. Just jumped back in after a couple years away and really first nano.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Honestly, I think many here would suggest skipping the skimmer on a 14 gallon. Typically, you can manage water parameters quite well with regular water changes.

Is there something wrong with your water chemistry that makes you want a skimmer?
 
My phosphates are high. I only have one clown fish in the system. I feed lite only once a day.
How high on phosphates are ya talking? Skimmer wont rly knock down phosphates that much i dont think... if ya have lots of organic waste it will work like a charm before it turns into PO4 but wont really help a "high" level.
 
Its also pretty easy to do a more than 10% WC on a tank that size if PO4 is high, can easily do a larger change to actual effect as opposed to bigger systems where larger WC are a much harder endeavor.
 
My phosphates are high. I only have one clown fish in the system. I feed lite only once a day.
Pic of the loaded 14 would help.
No need for a skimmer. I do 2g wc's in my 15g, actual 10g's of water every 2 weeks.
Control po4 with a po4 reducer when needed and feed heavy.
Please feed your clown more than once a day. Do you eat lite once a day?
I feed my 15 3-4 times a day.
My 5 month old 15.
20250802_105935.jpg
 
If you decide you really want a skimmer. I’ve got the bubble magus mini q, and it pulls a lot of gunk out of the tank.i was very surprised by how good it works. Think it was in the $50 range and attaches in the back compartment of my 25g AIO
 
If you decide you really want a skimmer. I’ve got the bubble magus mini q, and it pulls a lot of gunk out of the tank.i was very surprised by how good it works. Think it was in the $50 range and attaches in the back compartment of my 25g AIO
I’m going to do a couple water changes and monitor everything for a little. I will definitely let you know if i decide to even try a skimmer.
 
The tank seems too small but i use the tunze skimmer on my 55. I think its too bulky for ur size setup but it works well. Keep us posted. The tank is looking good.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new