Nano species tank for haddoni nem???

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Still Super nervous about putting the carpet nem I won on auction in my tank after realizing they were aggressive. Too expensive of fish in my DT to risk it killing/eating fish. What do you all think about a species tank? Have a spare 10 and 15 gallon tanks. Would a haddoni be comfortable in there?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Still Super nervous about putting the carpet nem I won on auction in my tank after realizing they were aggressive. Too expensive of fish in my DT to risk it killing/eating fish. What do you all think about a species tank? Have a spare 10 and 15 gallon tanks. Would a haddoni be comfortable in there?
Might be to small of a tank when I gets bigger.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you feed it heavily, a small carpet could fill your tank within 6 months. But most of them rely on photosynthesis

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddonis can get to be like 2 feet around, I know they usually stay somewhat ruffled and don't extend to their full size, but they also can be fond of deeper (3+ inches) sand beds.

They are not appropriate for nanos, and if you were going to do a species only tank, I would do a minimum of 18 inches on a side and then whatever depth is needed for you and for your lighting.

You can keep some inverts with them, and then clowns that are a species appropriate to hosting in them, but they are sticky (you will experience this in handling, most likely) and have a powerful sting, so most things around them can get eaten.

Your small tanks plumbed into a large system may be a reasonable for temporary holding, but they need fairly high light and feeding amounts start at about a standard mysis cube size or a little smaller, and I don't think either of those smaller tanks will be able to sustain that sort of sudden feeding load, either.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be OK for the short term what kind of lighting do you have?
Ah okay so it kinda sounds like my only options are really my 70 gallon or my 125. I just need help figuring out which? Worst comes to worst Ill sell it to LFS.

My 70:
Red sea max 260 69 gallons, wave maker, return pumps, red see 90 LED reef lights. Heavy rockwork.
Stock: maroon clown pair, golden dwarf angel, melenarus wrasse, 3 chromis, dwarf lion, marine betta, 2 firefish, mandarin dragonet and watchmen goby. Only shrimp in the tank is a coral banded, hermit crabs, sea hare and snails for inverts. Tank has a lot of corals, BTAs, torch, hammer, leathers, zoas and a few others I dont remember their names all doing well.

125: unknown brand, 125 gallons, 30 gallon sump (I think), wave maker, return pumps, other pumps for movement. Transitioning to Red sea 90 lights (3 for the tank), six foot long. Heavy rockwork with negative space.
Stock: 2 triggers, 3 tangs, regal angel, clown pair, saddleback butterfly, 5 anthias and a few small reef fish like gobies and blennies. Only inverts: arrow crab, emerald crab, tiger conches, hermits. One hammer coral and a zoa colony. All inhabitants are doing very well.

I dont want to lose any fish to this nem! The fish in my 125 all swim a lot but for some reason like to gather on one side of the tank! The fish in my 70 are not as active, but have more smaller fish in there that perch.

Anyone have any suggestions for which tank?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back